Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'75 F250 Garrison steering help

My son's truck has the original Garrison style power assist. It's on a 44HD closed knuckle. Just before he went in the service (now stationed in Korea) he lifted it and put the valve at a steeper angle so it's not valved correctly.
What I'm wanting to do is get a taller steering arm and or longer pitman arm to correct the angle.
I'm having trouble finding any parts or machine shop that will make them. The 44HD Closed Knuckle has a four bolt flange on the top of the knuckle and I'm under the impression it doesn't share the same bolt pattern as the closed knuckle 60.

Has anyone got any ideas? Wanting to get it fixed before he comes home.:(

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
I'm not real familiar with the power assist system but I have heard that it is hard to get parts for and prone to leaking.

If a longer pitman arm will fix it for you, there may be some internet sources for custom made parts. I think I would start by figuring out roughly how long it needs to be and see what you can find that matches. Rough Country Suspension Systems may have something that will work.

Not sure how far you want to take it but I have seen a fairly easy conversion to integral power steering for high boys and at least one company makes a kit. Maybe an option? :)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts