Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 F 250 gas smell

Hi all,99F250 regular cab. V-10 300,000 mi.

I had a problem with the smell of gas.
the F/P went out and I changed it.$200.
While the tank was on the ground.I noticed a return(??) line had a hole rubbed in it. I replaced the line and no smell and the economy improved to where it was a while ago.

Now I smell gas a lot and don't see any leaks or drips.The hoses I changed are still good and connected?

I posted on another Ford Forum. I was asking for a skematic or diagram for the fuel system(never did get it).
I told them of the problem and they said the canister under the hood on the opesite side wasn't working?? Something about a valve in there??
I'm not sure what the container is even for?
I'll post the messages from the other site.

(Need the fuel system digram or schematic for my truck.
1999 250 superduty v-10 Ser# 1FTNF20S1XEC67940
Everytime I run it I smell gas.
I changed the f/p 6mo ago.
While I was working on it I noticed there was a hole rubbed in a small hose.
I assumed it was a return line(smelled gas before too)and when I fixed it the smell went away until lately.
I dropped the tank,yesterday and didn't see any problems.)

(No leaks on the ground or anywhere I can see?
New filter when I changed the pump.
I drive the truck 3000mi. probably less.
It's got about 300K and runs great.
It's a northern truck and the underbody is rusty.)

(On the back side there is a valve that can be venting fumes. It regulates the
the pressure in the tank.)

(The venting system has a whole bunch of metal pipes after the tank on the frame. Mine were really rusty.I replaced all of them with rubber lines. You may have pin holes....Also you should be able to track down the leak with your nose LOL..at least get close.)

(The canister. Is there a way to tell if it's bad? What do I look for?
Any way to get a schematic for the system? )

THESE WERE REMARKS FROM THE OTHER FORUM.

I still need a diagram or something so I can replace the hoses???

THANKS<JERRY.

I Am haveing the same problem in a 200 f250 v10 . fuel smell under the hood. no leaks on ground . but i notice around the charcoil canister on the passangers side is damp . the truck is undercoated 2s a year and all the vacume lines are fine. could the canister leak? is this a comon problem? what is f/p ? that you replaced ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts