Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help....79 9 inch question

Ok guys, heres my issue.

My truck has a 28 spline, 9 inch.

The replacement axle is a 31 spline.

Now, my original plan was to just switch the guts from the 2 axles and be done, but heres my issue...

4ncp.jpg

My truck has the bearing style on the left, the other axle has the style on the right...plus, the tubes look different (mine has a clearly visiable inner bearing, the other dont).

What is needed to make the cone bearing style work in the rear thats already in the truck? Is it possible? Or am i further ahead to just put the replacement 31 spline back togther and bolt the sum$$$$$ back in the truck?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The 31 spline won't work. The side gears in the differential are machined with the 28 splines. You need to find another 28 spline axle.

even if i swapped 3 rd members?

Fellro

Staff member
You have to swap the axle to match the spline count, or you have to swap the spider gears from the 3rd member to the 28, your only options to make it all play nice. In essence, you have spider gears with 31 "teeth" (splines) trying to accept a shaft with 28 teeth (splines). Not going to happen.

I think ill just swap the whole unit.

Im gonna have to the whole damn carrier is bent

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts