Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1974 F100 Steering Column problems

Working on a 1974 F100 with A/T that had no horn, no turn signal return, and hard column shifting.
When I removed the steering wheel and grounded the spring loaded post, the horn worked. So maybe a problem in the steering wheel rings.

The t/s return problem was obvious, there was nothing there to nudge the plastic arms back to center. Ordered a return cam from LMC but it had much too large of ID to fit on the shaft. According to all the parts breakdowns I can find, there's supposed to be a stout spring just under the steering wheel that perhaps that cam could ride on, but alas when adding the spring the steering wheel stayed about 1/2 from the collar.

Finally the hard shifting appears due to metal on metal between the upper and lower flanges, what I call the shift collar and stationary piece. There seems like there should be a thrust bearing between the two, but as yet have been unable to locate.

At this point, I'd like to find a good used steering column that hopefully has all the right parts. Anybody help?
Thanks! Jim

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
The horn problem could also be with the horn button itself.

The wrecking yards around here usually have a couple of dents to scrounge parts from.

I would think as long as it's off a 73-79 A/T truck(non-F250) with the same tilt or no tilt option it should bolt right in.

But others may be able to chime in with more detail.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The horn problem could also be with the horn button itself. [confused]

The wrecking yards around here usually have a couple of dents to scrounge parts from.

I would think as long as it's off a 73-79 A/T truck (non-F250 :confused: ) with the same tilt or no tilt option it should bolt right in.
Where in the hell did you get this info from? It's wrong.

There's no horn button on these trucks, they have a vinyl horn pad that contains the horn switch.

The horn pad is the same: 1971/77 F100/350, 1974/77 Bronco, 1975/77 Econoline as is the steering wheel.

1973/77 F100/350's use a different steering column, steering wheels, T/S switches, NSS, shift collar and etc parts than 1978/79 F100/350.

Tilt wheel introduced in 1978 F100/350, Bronco & Econoline.

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Where in the hell did you get this info from? It's wrong.

Thanks for clarifying the differences Bill, there are a lot of parts that are the same across the entire range of trucks. I wasn't sure about the steering columns which is why I suggested a full swap which would be easier than a rebuild anyway.

While I haven't done it myself, I have read where folks have swapped 78-79 columns into their 73-77 trucks without issue which is what I would suggest looking in to if an older column is not available for swap or parts.

Horn pad/horn button, in the end the point is the same, it might be bad or need cleaning. At least that terminology should be less offensive to most on here than saying stepside instead of flareside.YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles