Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter solenoid stays ingaged

I'm working on a 1954 F100 and will be switching over to a 12 volt system. I'm currently mapping out some temporary wiring before I dismantle truck for body work etc. I have a new starter solenoid hooked up and all wired up to the ignition switch, battery, starter etc. to the point where I can turn the ignition and turn the 351 Windsor over. This engine has electronic ignition (Duraspark 2). I wired it up per a wire diagram I printed out, it says to run a white wire from the 2-pin connector at the module to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. The problem is when that wire is connected that way, once the Ignition key is turned to start and springs back to run position the starter solenoid stays energized keeping the motor cranking until I disconnect the battery cable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
It sounds like you are back feeding from the dura spark 2. I would disconnect that wire, then key on and check voltage on that wire. See if it's back feeding from the duraspark

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Is the solenoid a new one?
I have had them fail, and stay stuck on, try another solenoid and see if the problem continues

Thanks, I havn't actually checked the voltage on the white wire yet with it being disconnected from the "S" terminal but I will this evening. I figured it's a back feed but I'm not quite sure why, wrong wiring, bad module, etc. The cranking issue goes away with the white wire disconnected, so I'm not sure if I need to land that wire somewhere else.

Thanks Charlie, The solenoid is new and when I disconnect the white wire from the module, the cranking issue goes away. But I know the white wire needs to go somewhere. Faulty module mabe?

I am getting almost 12 volts back feed through the white wire to the starter solenoid. The electronic ignition is part of the 81 model year 351 Windsor I am putting in the truck. I wired it up per a Duraspark wiring diagram, It shows to connect the white wire from the module to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid, the red wire to the "start or run" terminal on the ignition switch. So I put the red wire on the "I" terminal at the ignition switch since it's hot during start and run, I put the white wire on the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid as directed. but with the white wire connected like that there's a back feed voltage from the module through the white wire that keeps the starter solenoid energized when the ignition springs back from start to run position thus keeping the engine cranking.........What am I missing?? Any help woul be greatly appreciated. Gdawg.

Ford Truck Articles