Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Solenoid chaos

Last friday had to have auto club assistance. The "tech" reefed a number of time on the ignition and never got the truck to start. Wasn't getting any fuel. he called for a tow truck and I noticed that the accelorator cable had come loose from its bracket. Put cable back into bracket (didn't find the retaining clip so zap strapped it). Within a few minutes of the truck re-starting the solenoid got stuck as it continued to run the starter, even without the key in the ignition!
Replace the solenoid twice with Borg-Warner and now I'm on my second Motorcraft one! Starter is drawing normal amps, even checked the battery and the alternator. Those are fine. I replced the starter and the ignition part lower on the steering column in March.
Any ideas on what is screwing up these solemoids? So far they have been replaced on warranty but patience is growing thin. Any ideas?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Does the solenoid work correctly for a period of time before the contacts get stuck shut? Did you check the broken solenoids to confirm that they were broken? (+12V at the 12 o'clock post and GND to the backing plate-- should hear a **click**)

Ford Truck Articles