Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to tell push button from 2wd?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Dunno when ford started with it... but how can i tell if a 92 F150 had the push button 4wd or was a 2wd? i know the manuals you could see the hubs sticking out through the center caps.. but dunno if and when ford started with the push buttons...

reason im asking is because im looking at a 92 club cab that appears to be in immaculate shape... but theres no interior pics so i cant see the dash... from the pics it looks like its got these center caps all around

s-l500.jpg

and from the blurrzy pics it seems like it may have a 5.8 badging on the side.. (dunno if that factory or after market).. any info on what to look for on that as well..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
snagged a couple pics from the listing... still looks really clean to me...

f150 1.jpg

f150 2.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice looking truck
It's a 4x2. the 4x4's of that era even with automatic hubs had them sticking through the center cap
If you look at the center cap from the back it has a knockout where the hub comes through.
All TTD 4x4 still had hubs.
in 97 they went to the independent front 4x4 suspension, and the hubs went back behind the brake rotor, shifted by vacuum

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Here is a milemarker hub sticking through that exact center cap.
This truck had automatic hubs, but I replaced them with the milemarkers
4cfd52907bb869971fd27131164ec065.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Nice looking truck
It's a 4x2. the 4x4's of that era even with automatic hubs had them sticking through the center cap
If you look at the center cap from the back it has a knockout where the hub comes through.
All TTD 4x4 still had hubs.
in 97 they went to the independent front 4x4 suspension, and the hubs went back behind the brake rotor, shifted by vacuum

thats what i was thinking but wasnt 100% sure... had someone telling me there was no way to tell the 2 apart from the outside and to me that sounded off... being 2wd aint a deal breaker... just was hoping for 4x4...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
im seriously wanting to get this truck... i just dont know what to look for on it... did get a better pic when i looked at it on the computer... does say 5.8 on those badges.. (dunno if those are factory or not)... i dont recall ford ever doing that till later but then they were included in the main badging...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Can't really see in the picture, but 5.8 had dual 5.8 tailpipe.
I dont remember seeing motor badges on any of my obs trucks except the oil burners, and they only said diesel.

The truck is probably a xlt, could be a lariat
1/2 ton trucks had 4.9 5.0 and 5.8.
That truck is clean, but I'd want interior pictures
Good paint job can hide flaws

Still a nice truck. I'd be interested if I didn't have the eddie bauer
You have my number when you get closer. If nothing else call on a video chat and do a walk around

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
cant tell from the pics either if its duals... i know alot of them tended to swap out for straight back pipes whenever the exhaust had to be changed.. so dont see any coming off the sides like factory did...

f150 3.jpg

closer shot of the badge im talking about...or least clearer... i woulda liked some interior ones too but none listed... claims to have 203(im assuming thousand) miles on it... just says "203 and climbing as theyre still driving it.."

heres what it says in the ad
"Everything works smoothly.
Brand new tires, brand new brakes, brand new tonneau cover.
Engine works perfectly.
Oil change regularly maintained.
Miles run: 203 (still using it so miles will go up)
Reason of sale: planning to buy another car
Clean title"

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
5.8 is not a ford emblem, someone added it later.
I bought my 94 at 201,000.
Trans went in right after i bought it.. Pulled the motor at 233,000

Ball joint test get in a parking lot. Back up and turn, pull forward turn the other way an gas it a little, if it clunk put a set in. 4x2 ball joints take about 2 hrs including taking wheels off. Look at shock tower on front make sure the mount isn't rusted and shock pushing through. You will hear it clunk on bumps if bad.

92 is still r12, keep that in mind if you have ac troubles

Offer is still there if you want to look at it

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
had a feeling they werent... probably be the first thing i got rid of too lol... drivers door cant tell if its got some dirt there just under the window or if its a blemish... either way not enough to disinterest me...

the one pic looks like its got dual tanks too... theres a door infront of and behind the wheel well... how did that work?? was there a switch or did it pull from both tanks simultaneously??

no worries on the R12... btdt matter fact i still have my license for it... if i get it the first thing im doing is changing all the fluids like i always do with used vehicles...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Switch on the dash. 19 gallons in back. 18.5 in front.
Not sure which dash. The rare one has 4 gauges on the left speedo in the middle, tach on the right. The rest have 2 gauges left speedo middle, 2 gauges right. No tach.
Radio if factory will be a cassette.
No air bag in this year

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i keep staring at that truck... i so wanna go look at it.. but my next day off isnt till monday now.. hopefully ill feel better by then...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Obs trucks get under your skin.....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
this one has for sure....

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My eddie bauer i met when a guy at work bought it new. I told him if you ever want to sell that truck let me know. That was 1995.
I'd run into him and the truck from time to time, and remind him.
I went to work at a company temporarily in 2010, and Ed worked there. Still had the truck.

After I got hurt, he called me at home one day and ask me if I still wanted the truck. Absolutely.
He said bad news, I have to get $600 for it because thats trade in.

He also said it needed towed, the spring supports had rusted through.
So 2011 and 2012 I spent rebuilding the whole undercarriage of the truck.

It is a 20'er, needs paint, but I can't find the proper eddie bauer decals, so paint will have to wait.
In the interim, you are now finding out just how these obs trucks will grab you

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Being a 92. How much does the computer play into it???

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
92 is a warmed up 87-91. Still obd2.
It's computer controlled, but basics

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
what i call dumb computers... lol... unfortunately i cant go see it now for couple weeks... hope itll still be available when i can...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If not, I can keep my eyes open.
You want a project, or turn key?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
If not, I can keep my eyes open.
You want a project, or turn key?

Turn key preferred. My 6.0 is enough project. Strong engine, reliable. Something i dont have to keep fixing over and over. But also not a bank breaker either. Will see what happens after my "quarenteens" over.

Ford Truck Articles