Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 Explorer transmission slipping/disengagement

Fellro

Staff member
Took a friend's Explorer for a drive to try to see what is going on with it. Speedo is nonfunctional, but doesn't seem to be part of the issue. It will shift fine 1st, second, 3rd, then after a bit, it is like the clutch pack loses pressure and the rpms climb. Pull it to 2nd, works fine. O/d light flashing too. Hard part failure, or maybe just pressure solenoid?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
speedometer in these is a known problem. the fix comes in 2001

Trans shifts by hand means hydro side working, electronic side not. there is a code, but there is no adl to retrieve them.

My guess is connector on side has a problem, or a shift solenoid pack

masakimm

Native Texan
If the shop has a proper scanner they should be able to retrieve the codes we have an adapter for the older ford to read the code.s

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

Fellro

Staff member
The shop is me... It still has the old EEC plug, so the later scanner doesn't work, and I don't readily have my old scanner which has seen better days.

Basically, it felt like the hydraulics were fine, it would engage initially, then lose it after a bit. Doesn't flare like a slip, and grab again, just goes to rev and then nothing until I downshift. That is why I lean towards an electrical control issue over a hard parts failure.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ya. Using my buddy as an example.[emoji56]you can get the codes.
Take a test light, plug it into the little square single wire where the eec check is.
Ground out the test light.

Turn on the key. Sit in the seat. Count check engine flashes.
That truck will be a series of 3 flashes.
1 1 1 means system pass. It will do that twice, then give you the codes. Twice for each code

Post the codes, I'll decipher them for you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles