Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Blew a Gasket

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Should have known better and checked the header bolts on the 351W. Been a while and I got lazy, so this is what happens...
exhaust_gasket.jpg

with the '83 it's not really a big deal to have to replace, but still :eek:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just a little ventilation :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes it does...and friggin' annoying as well!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sounds better without it lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yup, and caused the exhaust to make that annoying popping/crackling sound when you let up on the gas too

Vacuum sucks....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I have bad exhaust manifold gaskets on my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat with a 351M and they do sound sound terrible, like lifters clattering, but it goes away when the truck is warmed up, but it comes back when step on it hard to pass some bozo in an Obamamobile (Chevy Volt), or some other econo chit box, and it is rather annoying.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
thread locker or locking header bolts next time..

speaking of which its been about 6 months since i checked mine on my long tubes.. i may check this week.. since its still not running.. lol.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I have bad exhaust manifold gaskets on my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat with a 351M and they do sound sound terrible, like lifters clattering, but it goes away when the truck is warmed up, but it comes back when step on it hard to pass some bozo in an Obamamobile (Chevy Volt), or some other econo chit box, and it is rather annoying.

Taking my time, it took an hour to replace the passenger side gasket. (so much room to work) It does sound terrible, and for people who are not mechanically inclined, they think, "oh, great, another old POS"

Fellro

Staff member
I have been known to double up the gaskets. I haven't tried the more expensive ones that are supposedly not to need retightening the bolts and such.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I have been known to double up the gaskets. I haven't tried the more expensive ones that are supposedly not to need retightening the bolts and such.

Hi Roger, here's some pic's of those header gaskets I installed, they're really nice gaskets!
header_gasket_001.jpg

header_gasket_002.jpg

header_gasket_003.jpg

header_gasket_004.jpg

And here's a picture of the header gasket installed. You can really see the quality of these gaskets.
header_gasket_install.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Looks like they are made of the same material the manifold gaskets have been made of for years. You'll have to let us know how they work out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts