Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Runnin like a Harley

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Finally busted back into the Capri this weekend.

Hard starting, spins just fine. Isn't hitting on all eight, and idles the same. New tune up, plugs all in correct places, checked more than once. I've gone two holes forward and then back and back one with no change.

Damn sure I got everything lined up correctly when I put the front end back together.

Where should I look?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
It's all stock 351W.

Pulled it apart, replaced all the bearings, rings, gaskets, seals.

Been sitting for a long while, I know for certain that I lined the dots up correctly when I put the timing set back on if I didn't I don't think it'd run at all.

Could it be the dizzy going bad?

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Does it have an egr valve?

May have lost the diaphram

Is it carburated? Tuned super bad? Internal carb vac leak...had that happen to me on a brand new quick fuel carb, linkages were wrong cause either the primarys or secondaries to always be cracked.

Check dizzy cap for wear, corrosions or bad connections.

Grounding out plug wires?

Timing is at what? Start it out at 10* btdc with no vac advance. Thats a good baseline look for 25* ish total advance.

And the best way to tune is by vac gauge....plug it in, start fiddling till u max out vac.

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
No EGR, aftermarket intake.

The 351 ran great in my truck and the 302 was good with the current carb on the 351...

Fresh tune up on the engine.

If the timing was off when I reinstalled the timing set, just a little, would it cause my issues?

primetime

sawmill slave
That is kind of tough to answer. I suppose equal amounts when first installing, but the slack should be negligible in that if you turn the crank a couple of degrees it should take up the slack and still have the dot`s stay aligned.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
just line up the dots, then spin the crank by hand, then recheck, it should be on/REALLY close

Ford Truck Articles