Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball Joints - Difficulty?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Okay, who's done ball joints on one of these trucks?

I don't know if it makes it more difficult, but mine is also a 4wd.

Are there any peculiar difficulties mechanically? (anything to align, balance... anything that might require a skill I don't have)

Is there anything that I am physically going to have a hard time with? Am I going to need a BFH?

Just fill me in. Mine are worn and I can pay a guy $300 to do it, or I can do it myself and I was wondering if it was worth the trouble.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I've done them several times. Worst part is getting the spindle off.
If you have a ball joint press it will help a lot, if not a hammer will get the job done.
Not a real bad job on some trucks. Rust on the spindle can make you want to say a few bad words.you would swear they are welded on them al at once they pop and off they come.

Fellro

Staff member
Both are of the press in type. A press is highly recommended... You can "rent" one from O Reilly's and Autozone. I know ours is around a $150 deposit which you get back when you return it.

Fellro

Staff member
Not a bad idea, but not the immediate need as it is with tie rods.

rambler

New Shoes......
just saw this post.. I did my 2000 superduty this winter.. a big job, but not impossible...

I didn't need a press, but "borrowed" a lot of tools from autozone and orielly to get them done.. if you dont have air tools, it makes it even harder.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Quite a bit of time in this one. I did the driver side lower ball joint. It was definitely shot.

It was about 4 hours - not bad considering I've never done it before and I would have paid someone ~$125 to do that side. I figure I'll do the passenger side next weekend.

You flat-out can't do this one without a press.

I put some Moog greasables in there. I was hoping to get sealed but it was the best parts O'Reilly's had on hand so I'll deal with the occasional greasing.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
IMO the greasable ones are better. Moog makes some good balljoints too so you should be good for awhile.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I love Moog parts. I've used ball joints and tie rods on the old truck and they were solid. I am just not wild about the 'greasing' part of greasable. :rofl: I just feel like I'm going to forget and tear them up...

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Just grease when you change the oil :)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Well I got both sides of the lower ball joints replaced! The upper joints were solid as a rock so I'm not concerned.

I couldn't have done it without borrowing a press from O'Reilly's. Period.

Ryan

Ryan, how many miles do you have on yours? My 2005 s-crew only has 68k and I doubt the BJs are worn... then again mine's 2WD

mSaLL150

California Chapter member
One of my tires cupped out badly and it was because of bad alignment due to worn ball joints. I replaced the uppers with the Camburg Uni-ball joints, and now the ride is much smoother and it has reduced bump steer from the larger tires. If you have 33"+ tires on a suspension lift I highly recommend these, beastly compared to the little stockers.

A press is definitely helpful when doing the swap.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Ryan, how many miles do you have on yours? My 2005 s-crew only has 68k and I doubt the BJs are worn... then again mine's 2WD

Took these joints out and they looked like they were factory. 133,000 miles at the time, so they were due..... No crazy tire wear but I noticed the play when I lifted up the front end.

Ryan

I just got back in from Ft Smith, AR today. The roads in OK and AR are horrible. 69 North isn't so bad as 40E in AR... I mean, it felt like I was riding in a 1 ton with no springs lol.

Anyway, I noticed some major wheel vibration that would come and go despite the condition of the roads. Had a chance to check out all the tires at one of my gas fill-ups and the driver's side front tire is getting some irregular wear on the inside - pretty sure when I jack the front end up, I'm gonna see some play in the upper or lower ball joint. The bad thing is, my truck only has 68k miles. WTF Ford. I have 20" tires but don't think that would affect it so much. Maybe I'm wrong.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I thought the uppers just get swapped out with the control arm? I know you're not talking about upper but......I need to do my balljoints as well......166k of abuse....

Ford Truck Articles