Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LED questions

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So, replaced the tail/brake lights in the Yota with some newer, brighter LEDs. Only issue now is when I step on the brakes my dash and marker lights come on.

My thought was the newer bulbs are more efficient and require less power to run and are causing feedback through the system. Any ideas and possible fixes?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
In the simplest terms, just like you figured, the current draw is not adequate for the bimetal in the flasher....solution is to add a resistor in parallel with the lamp.

Only issue with that is if the LED quits, you won't know..whereas the fast flashing lets you know the lamp is out.

Some LED's have built in circuitry for this.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sorry Eric....long day.

Off hand...I'm not sure...almost sounds like you are losing a ground.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
So, replaced the tail/brake lights in the Yota with some newer, brighter LEDs. Only issue now is when I step on the brakes my dash and marker lights come on.

My thought was the newer bulbs are more efficient and require less power to run and are causing feedback through the system. Any ideas and possible fixes?

Backfeeding, caused by a minor design difference in the base that results in a poor ground (or?) connection. I assume you don't have the CK base as the pinout for these is different. Here's a vid showing the base diffs and.......in my travels I've read that some oriental vehicles use them although I don't know what years.

Go read your PM and if you want a pic, say so. Rework via soldering is currently in progress.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts