Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

08 Ranger brake question

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Could be a bad caliper, but I've had issues with both my Rangers where the pads would hang in the brackets.

They just seemed to like a little love every year or so- take the pads out, clean up the nubs where they slide, and the brackets with a wire brush.

I suspect it's related to the amount of time the truck spends parked- during the warmer months, I usually only drive it once or twice a week.

Could be a bad caliper, but I've had issues with both my Rangers where the pads would hang in the brackets.

They just seemed to like a little love every year or so- take the pads out, clean up the nubs where they slide, and the brackets with a wire brush.

I suspect it's related to the amount of time the truck spends parked- during the warmer months, I usually only drive it once or twice a week.
Thanks guys, good reason to do my own brake jobs. I should have asked to look at the parts. It's a daily driver.
Pat

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Suggestons:

a) check the condition of those stamped stainless steel plates every 1-2 years and replace if corroding.

b) do not grind/trim the pads and expose bare steel

c) reassemble using some Cerami Glyde on the contact surface of the plate and the pad.

d) make sure that the caliper itself under the stainless plate isn't corroding and forcing the plate against the pad and causing excess sticking.

e) As in a) above, pull the slide pins apart, clean, inspect for corrosion (and replace in needed, they are cheap), lube with Cerami Glyde, reassemble and reinstall in the vehicle. Make very certain that the rubber boots are not damaged/torn, and that they are installed correctly and sealing.

* Be aware that it's possible to loosen those rubber boots at the DIY car wash, which will cause corrosion in the slide pins. Live and learn. ;)

Ford Truck Articles