Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4 Tear-down

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok so I haven't started yet but I wanted to get this up and going. I started on pulling the motor, transmission, exhasut and transfer case in one big wad. As we got the motor partially out the cats got hung on the frame. Needless to say the motor is hanging and the cats are stuck. more details to come....

329.52 ci

I have no idea what the actual displacement is.

Ryan

Thats pretty exact. :redface: 5.0 is a 302, 305, and 307....it makes no sense to me.

My old 2.9 was a 177 (in the books). I am not sure what my 4.0 is actually. I need to find out.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
yeah, a single liter = 61.0237441 cubic inches.

When I'm trying to do figuring to get an approx displacement in my head, I usually just multiply the liter by a factor of 60.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
the 5.4 could be anything from the 330 to a 332 and can be bored to a 338 but the cylinder walls get too thin for the water jackets and the block heats up too fast. so after some serious research I decided to just put a mild cam new headers, throttle body, injectors, electric fans and intake on it. Boring the motor .030 over verses boring .020 over verses stock was not enough power gains to justify risking the block. pics too come have to continue sat am will take some pics then.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Here are some pics of the motor pre teardown!

Here are a few words of advice... DON'T PULL THE MOTOR, TRANSMISSION, AND TRANSFER CASE all at the same time. It can be done...obviously but I highly discourage it! Now I have to run all new fuel lines because I could not reach them to unhook them off the top of the tranny(see later posts for pics of where they connect to the transmission!) Besides all that getting them all out of the engine hole is not fun with a 3" body lift much less a stock truck!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Looks like you got quite the mess there Doc. Look forward to seeing the pics of it going back together.

How is everything going with it for now?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
so far so good no real busted knuckels yet!!!LOL The heads are in alot better shape than originally expected so that is a plus...found the cams I am going to use and a guy in st. Charles to flash the computer...so no need for a chip!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts