Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Door hinge prop help.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm not sure what it's called, but when you open your door and it can stay open a certain width.....anyways, mine just recently won't stay open now. I checked and the metal is fine, but it looks like the paint got warn on it and now there's not enough pressure on it to keep it propped open. Nothing is broke or bent, so not sure what to do.

Any ideas?

doorhinge2.jpg

doorhinge.jpg

Like he said.

You can try new springs if you can find them.

Rarely does the cam go bad.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The only kit I could find for my hinges was a hinge pin kit, and the pins were not the best quality. I ended up getting two hinges from a scrap yard that were in good shape. Get the hinges from the passenger's door, since they generally see less wear, and will fit on either side. Replacing the hinges takes a LOT of adjustments and time. I was able to do the job by myself, but probably wouldn't do it that way again.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The only kit I could find for my hinges was a hinge pin kit, and the pins were not the best quality. I ended up getting two hinges from a scrap yard that were in good shape. Get the hinges from the passenger's door, since they generally see less wear, and will fit on either side. Replacing the hinges takes a LOT of adjustments and time. I was able to do the job by myself, but probably wouldn't do it that way again.

Thanks....I think I will just use the one from the other side as it rarely gets used. I wasn't able to find one online somewhere, so I might have to look around more and try some salvage yards like you mentioned.

The hinges are fine, it's that spring by the cams that is causing it not to catch.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thanks....I think I will just use the one from the other side as it rarely gets used.

I wasn't able to find one online somewhere....
Here's 10 of the puppies. Found 6 of 'em...online...using PartsVoice.com.
D3TZ-1022810-A .. R/L Front Door Lower Hinge-Includes Check Spring (not available by itself) / Obsolete

Applications: 1973/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco.

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has ONE = 607-722-5371.

JST AUTOMOTIVE in Lebanon TN has ONE = 615-443-3086.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has TWO = 800-476-9653.

MATLOCK FORD-MERCURY in Franklin IN has TWO = 800-987-3673.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has TWO = 800-543-4959.

VINTAGE PARTS in Beaver Dam WI has TWO = 877-846-8243.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
D3TZ-1022810-A .. R/L Front Door Lower Hinge-Includes Check Spring (not available by itself) / Obsolete

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has ONE = 607-722-5371.

JST AUTOMOTIVE in Lebanon TN has ONE = 615-443-3086.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has TWO = 800-476-9653.

MATLOCK FORD-MERCURY in Franklin IN has TWO = 800-987-3673.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has TWO = 800-543-4959.

WOW! Thanks!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has ONE = 607-722-5371. $155

JST AUTOMOTIVE in Lebanon TN has ONE = 615-443-3086. $140

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has TWO = 800-476-9653. No longer available.

MATLOCK FORD-MERCURY in Franklin IN has TWO = 800-987-3673. $173.97

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has TWO = 800-543-4959. $135.00

Will only do sales online - couldn't give me a price on the phone. Why have a phone then?

I had my secretary call for pricing and availability:

Man, I guess this stuff is made of gold or something.

Maybe Sean can hook me up down the road with a used one......another option is to jb weld or actual weld (borrow my uncles welding machine) the broken piece (bottom of the spring finally came off, was just being held on by the thick coat of paint). Use the practically new one from the passenger door and swap it with the repaired one.

Found one at LMC for $49.95:
Part #20:
hinge.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My question is, is this job a two man job?

Do I need to take the hinge completely off or can I just replace the spring?

Should I take this to a garage to repair?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
you can do it you only have to remove one hinge. have a friend or the wife hold the door for a minute or two while you have the hinge off. The other hinge will support the weight of the door the helper will just keep it level while you put the bolts in.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
you can do it you only have to remove one hinge. have a friend or the wife hold the door for a minute or two while you have the hinge off. The other hinge will support the weight of the door the helper will just keep it level while you put the bolts in.

Excellent....thanks Randy!

You can just replace the spring if you wish.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
That's what I'm talking about....great!

Thank you
Uh huh...Where are you going to get the correct hinge spring?

Ford did not offer it, it was only available with the hinge.

If it was available by itself, I would have listed its part number when I listed the hinge part number.

btw: The last MSRP for the hinge was $400.00 / Dealer net cost was $240.00.

So, the $173.00 price you were complaining about was below the last dealer cost.

"You think you bought an old truck, but what you really bought...is a hobby and hobbies tend to be expensive."

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

If it was available by itself, I would have listed its part number when I listed the hinge part number.

Sean is checking into salvage for me and worst case scenario, LMC has the hinge and spring for $49.95 or I'll weld or JB Weld the old one for the passenger door and use the passenger door hinge for my driver's side (which broke).

I was really more happy because I didn't have to do the extra work replacing the hinge when I can just leave it on the door, while it's hanging from the top hinge, and just replace the spring, then bolt the bottom on again. Maybe it's not a lot of work to some of you fellas, but when it comes to mechanics, anything that saves from more wrenching means less for me to mess up till I get more experienced. I've always been told lining up a door can be pretty tedious.

The prices from those locations you gave earlier are just way more than I want to spend to be able to prop my door open at a car show.....the other options will do just fine. If it was the bump, I wouldn't care as it's my work truck, but the dent, I'd like everything working fine for a reasonable price.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

btw: The last MSRP for the hinge was $400.00 / Dealer net cost was $240.00.

So, the $173.00 price you were complaining about was below the last dealer cost.

"You think you bought an old truck, but what you really bought...is a hobby and hobbies tend to be expensive."

$400 for a hinge? Dang......that doesn't even sound reasonable. What kind of part is LMC charging for the hinge for $49.95 then?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you can get a used spring, why not get the entire used hinge it's attached to?

Changing that spring will be a PITA. Ford offered similar springs for passenger cars, I can still recall the curses when Ford techs attempted to replace the little charmers.

It looks EZ, but...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If you can get a used spring, why not get the entire used hinge it's attached to?

Changing that spring will be a PITA. Ford offered similar springs for passenger cars, I can still recall the curses when Ford techs attempted to replace the little charmers.

It looks EZ, but...

Just by eyeballing it, it didn't look like a big deal, but if it's that difficult, I'll go ahead and replace the whole thing, especially if it's easier......I think the yards are selling the whole thing and not separate as well. I just thought I could take the spring out easy enough and insert it, but like I said, if it's easier to do the whole thing, than that's what I'll do. I was told that trying to line up a door is a pretty delicate thing and that's one thing I was trying to avoid by just unbolting one side versus the entire thing from the truck.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I can get good hinges for less then $50 :rolling laugh: Give me some time because it isn't gonna happen soon especially with the above 100 degree temps rolling in :rofl2:

Ford Truck Articles