Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

neautral safty switch harness

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Hello Gang, im working on my 79 f 250 4x4.bought it at a local swap meet with no motor or trans in it & the dash was completly dissasembled.from the engine ID tag it had a 351m with a c-6.in the bed of the truck was a 460 out of a van & c-6 case along with related parts to perform the swap with very little cost to complete. in short i rebuilt the engine & trans & it is back in the truck.that was the easy part.my prolblem is this. im attempting to start the vehicle with the key & i get nothing.i have power with the key on to all fuses & assecories & i believe ive narrowed it down to the nss.but i cannot find the feed wires in the wiring harness.the switch is trans mounted with 4 leads on a harness with blade type connectors. to make sure this was correct i checked my steering column for a column mounted switch & there are no provisions for this type of switch,or any connector off the wiring harness in the dash,now since im peiceing this truck together i did not recieve all the column linkage to the trans & in short ive installed a B&M truck mega shifter on the floor.to accomodate the shifter linkage, the factory nss had to be removed from the trans.the shifter has nss & backup light capability but as i stated i cannot find the feed wires.the truck will start by using a remote starter button at the selenoid & with the key on.since the truck was dissasembled when i got it.im not sure if part of the harness was removed & im pretty weak at making sense of wiring diagrams.any help would be greatly appreciated. :headbang: lol Thanks Bob

Fellro

Staff member
there should be 2 small wires at the starter solenoid, one will be power from the key switch when turned to the start position, the other goes to the neutral safety switch. Disconnect the one to the safety switch and try that. It is possible the switch is either bad or needs adjusted, been a while since I monkeyed with one myself.

The plugin you are looking for is right behind the passengers side valve cover on the firewall comming out of the harness. You can just jump it across right there.

BuzzGun79

thanks for the reply guys.Roger i had to remove the trans mounted switch to accomodate my floor shifter.however i did find the grey plug i believe money pit is refering to.im going to test this out & see where it leads me. hopefully i will be able to connect the B&M shifters nss into this.THANKS AGAIN!! Bob

TransVacuumHose.jpg

BuzzGun79

Thanks for the picture view Mil1ion.it confirms that i have found the right connector on my truck.another issue resolved!! many thanks! Bob

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts