Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Royal Purple...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you're really interested, BobIsTheOilGuy.com is a forum where there's a lot of (apparently) intelligent discussion on oils.

Honestly, a lot of it is over my head, and I don't care to do the research to learn what it all means.

*What benefit are you hoping to gain from the synthetic? Knowing what you're looking for might help answer whether an expensive oil would be worth your money.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
If you're really interested, BobIsTheOilGuy.com is a forum where there's a lot of (apparently) intelligent discussion on oils.

Honestly, a lot of it is over my head, and I don't care to do the research to learn what it all means.

*What benefit are you hoping to gain from the synthetic? Knowing what you're looking for might help answer whether an expensive oil would be worth your money.

mostly reduced wear on engine parts. slightly better gas mileage. which is all supposedly possible. the power i could care less. but itll come with it so i aint gonna complain.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
mostly reduced wear on engine parts. slightly better gas mileage. which is all supposedly possible. the power i could care less. but itll come with it so i aint gonna complain.

By the sounds of it, it's a bit late to worry about wear on your current engine. (On high-mileage stuff, I always go by the rule The best oil to put in an engine with 200k miles is the one that got it there, but that's just me.)

smiliehijacked but what oil you guys think I should run in the Bronco? It has a bit under 72k and to my guess it has not had synthetic in it. also, what wheight oil does it take?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Regarding synthetics on break-in....many cars, including for example the Shelby use a synthetic from day one. There is much conjecture regarding this...but I can't see car manufacturers using the synthetic from day 1 if there could be problems...just my take on it.
Edit...and Matt, I agree with you.
Further Edit...you will be able to find information to back up either way that you view Amsoil....for example...yes, Hatco made the first oils for Amsoil...under Amsoils direction!. I'm not looking to start a pissing match, just trying to be objective...use whatever oils float your boat!

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic is supposed to be a very good product.

Good product for diesels, but as previously noted, the high detergent in gas motors is a problem. It also counteracts the acidity from the diesel blowby, which is not well suited for gas engines.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Rotella 15w40 works fine for gas motors. Even when breakin em in. Just need to run a zinc addative for the cam like every other oil now thanks to the damn tree huggers. Id saty as far away from royal purple as possible its just snake oil.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I use the Lucas oil stabilizer. I did a test of it a number years back similar to the video, except the guy let me hang off the load bar to try and stop the bearing. I couldn't stop it. Made a believer out of me.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I had a lifter going out when I changed to RP and now I change my oil about once a year, never had a single issue, no leaks and also the lifter hasn't gotten any worse and that's going on 5 ish years now.
And I switched my dieing c6 with RP nothing as changed other then the shifts have gotten smother..
It aint cheap so I aint using it cus its cool..

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Rotella 15w40 works fine for gas motors. Even when breakin em in. Just need to run a zinc addative for the cam like every other oil now thanks to the damn tree huggers. Id saty as far away from royal purple as possible its just snake oil.

It used to be accepted that RT was good for break in, but new research has shown that the high detergent keeps the rings from properly breaking in.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
That is all I run in my truck is Royal Purple. in the diffs, tranny, transfer case, engine, I even run RP blinker fluid! my blinks are so smooth I almost don't even notice it!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Wow sounds like you got a bad batch then Doc....
My RP blinker fluid is so smooth, i dont notice it, EVEN IF IM LOOKIN FOR IT!
Heck its so smooth most people dont notice my blinkers either!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
the only way I know I'm low is when you take out your blinker, you stick your finger in the hole where the light used to be like on the diff, if it comes out dry you need to add some!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That is all I run in my truck is Royal Purple. in the diffs, tranny, transfer case, engine, I even run RP blinker fluid! my blinks are so smooth I almost don't even notice it!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, I ran it in my blinker to but the seal blew and I just unhooked it...

Ford Truck Articles