Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thinking of selling the dents.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I haven't done anything except think about it and talk it over with the wifey, but wanted to let you fellas know first before you saw it online somewhere.

Just some random thoughts:

-it's not a financial issue as we don't need the money.....we're debt free, except for my commercial mortgage and that'll be paid off in about 5 years. We believe in paying for cash for everything.....even the addition last year or so was paid as it was built...cash.

-last two summers was weird juggling which one to drive and use (one is accessible in and out of a garage, but the second one is either out or in and is much more difficult to pull in and out regularly - I don't like leaving it out and exposed for any extended period of time)...I enjoy driving them both.

-it's still a dream of mine to be able to pass down a classic like these down to my boys someday, but we've often wondered if they would feel the pressure of having to keep it because we passed it down or even if it's something they'd want to own and care for in a New England state......we've wondered if we should wait to pass it down when they each have homes with a dedicated garage for it.....it's a single cab, so certainly not family friendly....what if they'd rather have the money, but don't want to sell it because of me?

-we've also thought if they did in fact want a classic truck or car for that matter as a gift for say college or high school graduation, we are in a position now even to just buy one outright, even if it's 10-15 years later (having the cash in hand now to invest/save will more than make up for any appreciation these rigs might incur in 10-15 years - I've owned the 77 now for over 5 years and I doubt it's appreciated much if at all, so even if the price doubles, it'd still be worth having the cash now instead of storing and caring for a rig today - although I get a ton of enjoyment out of them now during the summer)

-this past year and this current tax season was sort of a break out season for us in many ways and it's just getting better every day, which is making me think more and more of our decisions of late, especially financial ones

-where the kids are young and growing fast, most of my time is spent between work, family, church, and a little bit of (me) time with my exercising and such, but not much time enjoying the trucks especially where I don't have the tools, knowledge or facilities (yet!) to be able to tinker

-where they are single cabs, as a family of four, we'll never be able to go out as a family in either of them, which is why I've always wanted a crew cab! Usage has dropped since the boys were born and it'll probably continue now that we are a family of four.

-storage is always an issue.....we're looking at finally getting into the talks/plans of building my garage (which is where would could possibly store these babies in a heated environment) as well as have our daily drivers under cover in the winter. right now, they are in cold storage and I'm not sure what that'll do to them over the years.

Anyways, I haven't done anything yet and I welcome any thoughts as most of your fellas have been a part of both my dents' lives since the days I purchased them both......

If I do do something, I'll put an Eprey and Craigslist add up as well as some of the auto online classifieds......but I'll want to give them a good engine detail first, take tons of recent photos to post, make a short video, etc. so it'll probably be a few weeks to a month anyways.......I'm still jammed up at the office!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Sell one and put the other away until you want to drive it a bit. See if that will work for you.

Thanks Mark.....I did/am thinking about that also.

That would also help if I had any remorse, which I believe will be minimal if any at all.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Welcome back, Ken! That is a VERY tough call. If it was for financial reasons, that would be a no brainer, but, since it isn't..................I don't know.

I would tend to agree with Mark. Keeping one would cut down on the storage/care frustrations. I am amazed at the number of young adults that love and admire these older ford trucks. In my instance, two of my four children would take my truck in a heartbeat. The other two could care less.

Time is also an issue in your case. These trucks do take a lot of your time, even if it's to keep them looking as good as your trucks do. Good luck with a major decision, Ken. You should have no trouble selling them, if that is what you decide to do.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Welcome back, Ken! That is a VERY tough call. If it was for financial reasons, that would be a no brainer, but, since it isn't..................I don't know.

I would tend to agree with Mark. Keeping one would cut down on the storage/care frustrations. I am amazed at the number of young adults that love and admire these older ford trucks. In my instance, two of my four children would take my truck in a heartbeat. The other two could care less.

Time is also an issue in your case. These trucks do take a lot of your time, even if it's to keep them looking as good as your trucks do. Good luck with a major decision, Ken. You should have no trouble selling them, if that is what you decide to do.

Thanks Doug....good to be back.....but still jammed up for a while, but should have some good time off this summer and fall to spend with the fam!

If I was more handy, had the tools and garage, the tinkering part would probably make me want to keep them both more, but to pay someone else to work on them......ugh.....takes the enjoyment out of maintaining them, although I love detailing them every summer....just like you said, a lot of extra work when I think I need to focus on the kiddos for the next several years and cut out as much as possible.

I don't think I'll have trouble selling them either...may take a little time, but I'll enjoy talking about the trucks over the course of a few months with possible sellers depending on how long they last if I end up listing them.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Dad said his driveway is full of enough fords.. 2 of them already being 2 to many... :( guess i cant get one... couldnt pay ya if i could get one..

I'm pretty sure you know the answer already. My first thought was no but after reading the reasons I agree. Maybe even sell them and buy a crew cab so you can enjoy it a little. Least you can take the family to church and other places.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I can relate to a lot of what you said....not an easy answer....sorry, I'm no help.

Tough decision to make Ken .... maybe sell them both and like has been suggested get a c/cab to keep your hand in - or given the space a c/cab will take up why not look at another bronco?

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Ken, that would be a tough call to sell one or both of those Dents, but you try to sell one, and keep the other, OR even though they're both regular cabs you could drive one with one son, and your wife could drive the other one with the other son, have your own little family convoy to car shows and cruise nights. I find it rather therapeutic to cruise in a Dent, to me cruisin' in a Dent = therapy. Another option for is the Crew Cab Dent, or a Bronco Dent, or even a Super Cab Dent, those are worth a thought, especially with a family. Another idea to generate in generate interest in them is to put one in the car corral or if you know of someone that is looking for a Dent talk to them and show them one, that's how I found my Dent, or how my Dent found me, is that a friend from Car Pride, which is a club I belong to in Ithaca NY. And that's how I ended up with my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special, and make sure that it goes to a good home, where someone will take care of it, and who will love it, like you do.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Dad said his driveway is full of enough fords.. 2 of them already being 2 to many... :( guess i cant get one... couldnt pay ya if i could get one..

smilieFordlogo

I'm pretty sure you know the answer already. My first thought was no but after reading the reasons I agree. Maybe even sell them and buy a crew cab so you can enjoy it a little. Least you can take the family to church and other places.

I think you're right.....my wife has always been open to me getting a crew dent....they seem pretty rare; the ones that are already fully restored anyways.

OOOoooo! A Sunday morning drive in a crew dent with the family. Sounds like a plan.
Garage needs to be a little longer .

Yup, this is what I'm talking about......I wondered about the practicality of such a big beast, but I thought they'd make them in a short bed, no?

I can relate to a lot of what you said....not an easy answer....sorry, I'm no help.

Thanks Duncan....even an answer like that helps.

Tough decision to make Ken .... maybe sell them both and like has been suggested get a c/cab to keep your hand in - or given the space a c/cab will take up why not look at another bronco?

The classic broncs are too small for the fam I think.....unless anyone has any thoughts on that.....and an 80's or 90's bronc won't give me the classic feel I'd want.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, that would be a tough call to sell one or both of those Dents, but you try to sell one, and keep the other, OR even though they're both regular cabs you could drive one with one son, and your wife could drive the other one with the other son, have your own little family convoy to car shows and cruise nights. I find it rather therapeutic to cruise in a Dent, to me cruisin' in a Dent = therapy. Another option for is the Crew Cab Dent, or a Bronco Dent, or even a Super Cab Dent, those are worth a thought, especially with a family. Another idea to generate in generate interest in them is to put one in the car corral or if you know of someone that is looking for a Dent talk to them and show them one, that's how I found my Dent, or how my Dent found me, is that a friend from Car Pride, which is a club I belong to in Ithaca NY. And that's how I ended up with my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special, and make sure that it goes to a good home, where someone will take care of it, and who will love it, like you do.

Thanks! I hear you on all accounts....it will certainly be important that they go to a good home......my worst fear is that they go to an entitled kid who would beat them to death before wrapping them around a tree and no think anything of it.

A crew dent was my preference after having our first son and using the 77 all the time, with just us three.....THAT WAS AWESOME.....went to church in it, did errands in it, etc. And yes, we thought about having a caravan of both dents, with my wife driving one, but that's not the same as being all together for sure.

A crew cab would be ideal, worried about the size of the darn thing (short bed?).....not sure about a Bronco dent because of room, but maybe....

Hi Ken :)
Two of the coolest trucks on FTF!
Selling the trucks and getting a crew cab is a very awesome family thing for you to do! Made me smile.

Thanks Roy! smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
All the crew cabs were short bed unless a possibility of special ordered.
SC had long beds.

Oh, then it should be similar in length to a single cab with a long bed?

What's the bed length of a short bed?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Oh, then it should be similar in length to a single cab with a long bed?

What's the bed length of a short bed?

more like the Extended cab with long bed. The short beds were 6.5' long where the long beds were full 8'.

1973-1979 F-series short bed crew cab 150.3"

1973-1997 F-series long bed regular cab 133"

1973-1996 F-series short bed regular cab 117"

1978-1997 F-series long bed super cab 155"

1978-1997 F series long bed crew cab 168.4"

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
more like the Extended cab with long bed. The short beds were 6.5' long where the long beds were full 8'.

1973-1979 F-series short bed crew cab 150.3"

1973-1997 F-series long bed regular cab 133"

1973-1996 F-series short bed regular cab 117"

1978-1997 F-series long bed super cab 155"

1978-1997 F series long bed crew cab 168.4"

Wow, thanks for all that.....it looks like the short bed cc is still pretty darn long compared to what I already have now as a regular cab long bed.

I believe my King Ranch Crew is 139" (bed is only 5.5 ft I think), so adding another foot doesn't really seem like a deal killer to me......hmmmmmm......I do want a cc, but saw on the web that they only made about 10k of those as compared to 100's of thousands of regular cabs......are cc's that rare for 73-79?

Did they ever make any four door bronco's in a dent style?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts