Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Techy help sought

1976 460 engine...I'm considering a pair of 400 heads on this with a few other modifications. Will this particular item provide not only the horsepower but will it have the bottom end torque to be considered a good engine for towing?

Fellro

Staff member
Never heard of putting 351M-400 heads on a 460. My understanding is that the heads are one of the biggest problems the 351M-400 motors have. Only gains you get from changing heads is a change in compression ratio, and a change in air flow through the motor. A blanket statement such as yours really can't answer the question, as there are varying types of heads on each motor. You could well be going backwards if you don't get the right heads.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Never heard of doing this either. There are much better heads available in the aftermarket that stockers for the 400...and the 460 aftermarket blows away the 400 availability and diversity.

primetime

sawmill slave
400 aren`t going on a 460. They just don`t fit. 68-71 429/460 heads had 75 cc chambers, 72 up could be 92 or 97 cc depending on the year. I think I read somewhere once that police interceptor 460 heads were 89 cc, but can`t say for sure.

Putting a 68-71 straight up timing chain in it along with a little more cam would make a noticeable difference, as would upgrading to a better intake.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Your 76 460 engine,your heads should be sufficient.chances are they are the closed chamber wedge type.my 77 460 is that way(it is a 460 out of a 77 Econoline van).they differ from the later model open chamber design that reduce compression.to clarify closed chamber (looking from the combustion side of the head if they are off)is very little open space around the valves.this increases combustion.open chamber is well the chamber around the valves is open to the cylinder bore,thus reducing compression.I stuck with a stock build internally on mine,but went with headers and dual exhaust,a Weiand dual plane high rise with a 750 Holley dual feed.this engine is in a 79 f250 4x4 auto trans (C-6) stock 3:55 gears.38" mudders.the engine has plenty of low end torque along with cruising capability.and if i wanted to, i know it would get those 38" mudders smoking with no trouble.(at least in the rear) it runs that well.But be warned it also loves fuel ( even with a stock build) and is not a daily driver.

1976 460 engine...I'm considering a pair of 400 heads on this with a few other modifications. Will this particular item provide not only the horsepower but will it have the bottom end torque to be considered a good engine for towing?

You need to read a page on Ford engines and the series they apply

The only thing from a 351M/400 that will fit on a 460 is the distributor and bellhousing

You are trying to combine TWO parts of entirely different engines

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts