Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

school me on dana 60s

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I can give you the short answer that the best ones to get are the 78/79 High Pinion D 60's, which have king pins.

Many others here know far more than I do, but that's a start!

Very few F250's had them, not sure about the 350's. They fetch about $1000-$1200 around here. And thats with no new parts added.
They have king pins instead of ball joints and the differential cover bolts will take 9/16" wrench where as the dana 44 takes 1/2" .
In your conversion , you could possibly get by with just taking the steering arm off of the king pin on the left side and put it on the right side and hook up to your existing pitman arm end link.

Last edited:
thats what i am thinking, i havent got one yet but looking to import a truck that does, over here they fetch $3000-3500

the other option is to transplant super duty axles, different stud pattern but at least you can get them with rhd steering

The search is on for a 250 or 350, dana 60 diffs and extended cab long bed!!

primetime

sawmill slave
78-79 hp dana 60 has a spring center width of 32". 80-97 F-250/350s are 36". 86-91(92-93?) F-350 dana 60s are also king pin.

About 10 years ago I put a 78 dana 60 in a 87 F-250 diesel I had. I moved the spring pads out, sawed the steering arm off, and used a drag link for the same year F-350 and a tie rod off a 79 F-150 that was kicking around behind the barn.

A 78-79 60 will probably hit the crossmember on decent sized bumps. Mine did and the truck was packing a 1.5" add-a-leaf.

Be perfect but I want a supercab or extended cab! You should sell me yours and buy that one!!!!!

Your asking alot now. SC with the weight rating for a dana 60 !
Thats like someone in the 70's wanting a truck to plow snow but they have to bring the kids along. (snow fighter sc )
Or like mine, for a slide in camper and have to bring the kids along.(camper special sc )

Mine's not for sale , but
everything's can be had at the right price

Ford Truck Articles