Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 ford f-350 4wd headers

I am new hear and this is my first post. I have a 79 ford f-350 4x4 with a 351m. My grandfather bought this truck brand new. Taught me how to drive it when I was 8 or 9 through the fields to pick up hay for the horses. It was left to me when he died when I was 12 I've been useing it as a daily driver ever since. The last 4 years though I parked it and started collecting parts to rebuild it. I've recently had the motor rebuilt put a nice little cam in it. Had the heads done with a 3 angle valve job and ported and polished. Put on a edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb. Also a msd stand alone distributor wires and coil. And also I just ordered a set of summit raceing headers that exit the wheel well. I was wondering if I'm going to have to modify the brake lines fuel lines or inner fenders at all. When I get time I'll add some pics.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to the site...sounds like a cool truck. Why not get regular headers so you don't have any issues?

Fenderwell headers are a great choice, don't have to worry about front driveshaft clearances or crosmember clearance for the collectors.

The brake lines will need to be adjusted, just moved out of the way, not a big deal. The inner fender wells will probably need about 3" taken off the bottom in the lower corners. The fuel lines won't be a problem.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with what Scott said...and also have a few questions. Why go with Summit headers, more than likely they'll rust out sooner than you get that engine broken in (slight exagerration but you get the point). Why keep paying for the cheapies? You'll have more money into replacing those than buying quality up front. Also, why not upgrade to a 400 crank and pistons. If it's a money thing or more than you wanted to get in to, I completely understand...I was just wondering and it's food for thought in the future.

Oh yeah...I'd loooooove to see some pics of the truck. I'm a sucker for 79's especially 350 4by's.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not doing the whole engine. I bought it a few years ago from a guy that rebuilds motors and have had it in the truck and a few miles on it. Just started putting some upgrades to it. I made a mistake though. I though I ordered the fender well exit headers but they are not. They go between the frame and motor. So now I'll need to have someone make the exhaust for me. I went for the summit because of the price. And even the headman headers rust. I went to pep boys and bought some really good header paint with ceramic in it and used 2 cans between both of them. I still need to cure them when on the truck by starting it and letting it run for 15 min and leaving it sit and cool off. then repeat the process. I ripped the whole front end apart because I have other inner and outer fenders for it. Which I'm coating the whole engine bay with the herculiner bed liner from pep boys. It really looks nice. I won't have to worry about it pealing or chipping or scratching when wrenching on it and really cleans it up. I'll take some pics between rain showers today and try to get them posted tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts