Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny Problem

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
When i rebuilt my motor back about 4 months ago...... when i went to put the tranny back in , i layed my hand on the pump shaft in the bellhousin , well it felt loose , so somehow while i had it took out it got broke ....... so i had it replaced costed me $100....so got my tranny back and put it in at 1am , well i when i put it in , it was in a bind and wudnt crank.....so i pulled it just out far enough to realign it and put it back in the motor....well i got it in , and now i have to keep my truck in 4hi with the hubs UNlocked to drive it.... thats the only gear it will pull in, it wont pull in 2wd...... but it will work fine when i lock my hubs in. Im guessin my pump shaft broke again when i had it in a bind.....am i correct? i gotta fix it , im tired of it , it drives fine , but the fact is i know sumpn is broke somewhere.....

thanks for the help YelloThumbUp

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
and another thang:

when i took my trans and t case out.....only one of my linkages on my tcase was hooked up(np203) and it worked fine , so i when i put it back in i hooked them both up ...... is both suppose to be hooked up? ...... but this has nothin to do with tranny actin up , because i unhooked it like it was before i pulled it out , and it done the same thang

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm lost. 4Hi is the same overall gear ratio as 2wd, so I don't understand why it would make a difference. Maybe somebody else might be able to shed some light.

Well, I did just think of one thing, although it may be way off base. The 203 is a full time case, IIRC. If you have it in Hi, and not HI Loc, it may be just trying to turn the front axle and not moving the truck because of the unlocked hubs.

Craigwell

Improvising Adventurer
If you intend on driving that thing on the road much, get an NP 205 part time case in there.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
i have a spare 205 in the shop for a backup..... when i put it in gear it trys to barley move , and it makes a vibration and starts a grindin sound

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Sounds like the transfer case may be toast from being used as a part time box.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
it worked fine , until i pulled the motor/trans/tcase out

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I bet that when the one linkage was off, your transfer case was only shifting between hi loc and lo loc. Once you hooked the other linkage back up, it was probably able to shift into regular hi or lo, causing what you are experiencing now. There may actually be no problems. With your hubs locked in, does the truck move with the lever in all positions, except neutral?

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
ok i tired it......it trys to move..... when i put it in lo loc , it jumps out.... still makin vibration and grindin noise..... do i just need to pull trans and tcase? and check my pump shaft in my trans and make shure it aint broke again , and then put the np205 tcase in it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I would pull the transfer case first and try moving it by hand to see if that gives you any info. If not I guess it's time to pull the tranny. When you do swap to the 205, I believe you will need a longer front shaft and a shorter rear one.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
ok i tired it......it trys to move..... when i put it in lo loc , it jumps out.... still makin vibration and grindin noise..... do i just need to pull trans and tcase? and check my pump shaft in my trans and make shure it aint broke again , and then put the np205 tcase in it?

If the pump shaft on the trans is broken the truck won't move at all. So knowing that the truck moves with the hubs locked makes me beleive the transfer case is shot.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Even with the shafts i have now havin slip yokes they will be to long?

I'm going by memory here, so take it for what it's worth, but I think the difference is too much to make up by the slip yokes. You should be able to do some measuring and find out before hand though.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
if the transfer case is shot , the 4wd wudnt work wud it?

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
10 4 ......i reckon i will pull it when i find me some shafts.....

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
welllllllllllllllll i really need to put tha other tcase in now......i was headed to my inlaws yesterday afternoon and when i started slowin down at tha 4 way , it went WAM! and i pulled over , my rear shaft come apart at the slip yoke and it split like a banana peel...... i put it in 4wd to pull further off the road and it acts funny and tha front tires try to lock up and scoot.......its at there house , i gotta get it home , so i can investigate further to see what i got left......

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
finally found me a gooseneck trailer to go get it on.......i will take some pics and stuff tomorow .....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts