Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

replacement radio....

Has anybody had any experience with this brand of radio? The Sherwood that was in my 73' took a dump and I need to replace it. This is a reproduction of the radio that was originally sold with the truck. It is supposed to be engineered in the USA but is made in China. It is the right price and function but wanted to run it by the guys here to see if anybody has any prior history with this brand. Thanks in advance. Donald.

Attachments

• ford stereo.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe Doug has one in his truck and did have it fail but replaced and is happy. I know a couple of guys that have the same series and are happy with them.

Hey guys, received my new radio and it is beautiful! I have been doing a lot of reading on line about installation and pretty much get the idea of how this will go in. But one question I do have. I have a hot wire coming from the battery relay and that is for the memory functions of the radio. But if you were installing this what accessory fuse would you use for the switch on/off (ignition) power? I have a fuse tap and seems pretty simple.
Or could I use the same simple 12V power source for both and just remember to turn off the radio? Thanks for any suggestions. Donald.

Hey guys, received my new radio and it is beautiful! I have been doing a lot of reading on line about installation and pretty much get the idea of how this will go in. But one question I do have. I have a hot wire coming from the battery relay and that is for the memory functions of the radio. But if you were installing this what accessory fuse would you use for the switch on/off (ignition) power? I have a fuse tap and seems pretty simple.
Or could I use the same simple 12V power source for both and just remember to turn off the radio? Thanks for any suggestions. Donald.

Your fuse box don't have an eccesory panel?
Sometimes theres an extra port!:)

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You will forget to turn the radio off. I bought a truck with one that was wired hot. One dead battery and I fixed that to a switched hot.

Last edited:
LOL!! Yes Smokey, with my luck I would forget and drain the battery dry!!
Here is what my fuse box looks like. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the only fuse that doesn't work with the key "off" is 1.
I think all of the other accessories are live even with the key off and out of the truck.... Is 30amp ok for the radio?

Donald.

Attachments

• 74fuse1.jpg
^^ what i would do is use a feed from the acc and run a 12v switching relay onto a small aftermarket fuse box , then you will have a good power source to run your radio and whatever else you may like with out fear of draining the battery.

5-pcs-12-V-Volts-SPDT-Rel_-Automotivo-Carro-Alarme-30-40A.jpg

fuse_block.jpg

Hi guys. Finally got my radio installed. It was a snap once I did a little homework on line about how to do the wiring. I love the retro look but it works and sounds great! :nana:
Here is a photo for you. Merry Christmas to all! Donald

Attachments

• radio.jpg

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I have a fuse tap and seems pretty simple.

With very little effort you could wire the deck using a plain jane, common 12V automotive relay functioning as a latch and as such, the deck works with the key in run, acc, AND now......like vehicles have been doing for awhile, the deck stays powered up until one of the doors is opened (breaks the latch). You won't have a timed off for the deck like the newer rides do, however, I have yet to hear of anyone draining a battery from an oversight. Very simple mod to implement and very nice when for example, experiencing an extended wait in a line (drive in window for example) as turning off the engine doesn't interrupt the music. Something to think about here in Y2016. :)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I believe Doug has one in his truck and did have it fail but replaced and is happy. I know a couple of guys that have the same series and are happy with them.

Hi guys. Finally got my radio installed. It was a snap once I did a little homework on line about how to do the wiring. I love the retro look but it works and sounds great! :nana:
Here is a photo for you. Merry Christmas to all! Donald

Somehow, I missed this. Sorry. My radio is a Custom Autosound USA 630, which are probably made by the same company. My radio and CD player did make two trips back to the factory for replacement warranty, but I have been very happy to this point. In their defense, the unit(s) were exchanged with no questions asked and 2 day shipping to return them.

Good luck with your stereo.

Ford Truck Articles