Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

radio question

Hi guys. I have an older Sherwood AM/FM cassett unit in my 73. It stopped working recently so I decided to look into it. The power wires must have come apart because they were just dangling there, It looks like 5 wires in all. The blue and green are splitting to the speakers, 4 in all. The rest are loose. What would be a good power source for the radio? What color wire is the power wire? As you can see two of the wires have fuses tied into them. Is it possible to just run the power wire directly from the fuse box provided it is line fused? And which fuse plug is the correct one? I know there are a lot of questions but I don't think this has to be rocket surgery if I just had a little direction.

Thanks for the replies!! Donald.

Attachments

• wires.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm not an electronics expert, but standardization of wire colors, especially aftermarket stereos, is not all that good. I can tell you there are generally two sources of power to a stereo/radio. One source is switched(runs through ignition) to provide main power to the radio. The other power source is unswitched(direct from battery) to provide a source for memory items such as a clock or CD position, etc.

Have you tried googling manuals for an old Sherwood radio/cassette? My last installation had a pink wire which was used for a power antenna, which I used for a power source to a power amp. That way the power amp would come on when I turned the radio on. That doesn't mean that ALL pink wires are used for that source. Good luck!

Ok, I have done some homework and found a wiring diagram for a Sherwood radio. The red is for ignition on. The yellow is for 12 volt constant and black is ground. As the black is already going to ground and the green and blue wires are already to speakers, then I just need to find a power source for the red and yellow. I don't have a yellow wire but it must be the pink one that is fused.

Fellro

Staff member
It is commonly the red and pink for power. The 12v full is for the memory, the other allows the radio to come on with the key. You need to either find the power wire, which going on total memory that may be incorrect, but strikes me as it was a blue with red stripe. Otherwise, you need to find one of the fuse box terminals that is powered when the key is one, and not when it is off.

Doug and Roger, thank you for your kind responses. I have a volt meter and I think with a little exploration I can have this thing done in a short period of time. I agree that if I can find the original ignition power wire I can run it off of a fuse terminal that comes to life when the key is turned on. I will update you all on my success! Donald:wavey:

Bought a 12V tester and found the live wire that I believe originally powered the radio. It still will not come to life so I think it is dead on arrival. I will now start looking for a replacement. Thanks for the help! Donald.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts