Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rings not seated?

Fellro

Staff member
How has the fuel consumption been? Wondering if it is possible the gas use has been a bit high, and diluted the oil? I have seen that one play out before. It will lightly thin the oil, causing it to vaporize faster. Most times it pukes it into the air cleaner though... The thing throwing me a bit too, if we only look at oil, is it was fine for so long, then just changed. Seems there is something else at play.

BTW, I have a Bachelors in Mechanical engineering.... and work the field. ;) As well as an auto/diesel tech degree before that.

I answered your question if you took the time to read it.
Could you please show me where you answered this question .

Level ground, as flat as you can make it and it is indeed flat. I've let it sit for up to 24 hours or more before running it again , and zero puddles, drops or anything of any kind on the ground.
This didn't answer that question

I dont guess anyone really bothers to READ the thread before posing the same questions that I have already answered.....TWICE
I read the whole thread, thats why I re- asked Duncan's question.

Let me rephrase the question.
Did you pull the dipstick and check the oil after the truckis turned off and has been sitting for several hours ?

It was on flat ground. I did check the dipstick after it had cooled off for well over 24 hrs or more and in short terms less than 6 hours with plenty of time to cool.

How has the fuel consumption been? Wondering if it is possible the gas use has been a bit high, and diluted the oil? I have seen that one play out before. It will lightly thin the oil, causing it to vaporize faster. Most times it pukes it into the air cleaner though... The thing throwing me a bit too, if we only look at oil, is it was fine for so long, then just changed. Seems there is something else at play.

BTW, I have a Bachelors in Mechanical engineering.... and work the field. ;) As well as an auto/diesel tech degree before that.

Fuel consumptions been like it alwayts has been ever since I put it together witht eh Edlebrock 750. Between 5 and 6 and an actual average ( while pulling ) 4.8 mpg. So its not the greatest thing on gas but she goes.

I tried one small item mostly out of being curious. I put a lighter to the dipstick just to see if any fuel was on it or in it. It wouldn't light until I put ALOT of heat to it.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hey Guys, sorry I'm late, Ducan Pm'd me, but I havn't been on much since my son passed away

Ok, here goes
The rotella 15 40 is a good choice for him, as he needs the zdp for the flat tappet RV cam
His engine builder DID NOT file his rings, so he will be using a bit of oil until the rings seat.
It will probably take about 5,000 miles before he sees improvement in the oil usage.
As long as he is not getting the oil back as blow by, into his air cleaner, he will be ok.

The spark plugs are telling the story, the rings are starting to seat, and are clean.

Hey Guys, sorry I'm late, Ducan Pm'd me, but I havn't been on much since my son passed away

Ok, here goes
The rotella 15 40 is a good choice for him, as he needs the zdp for the flat tappet RV cam
His engine builder DID NOT file his rings, so he will be using a bit of oil until the rings seat.
It will probably take about 5,000 miles before he sees improvement in the oil usage.
As long as he is not getting the oil back as blow by, into his air cleaner, he will be ok.

The spark plugs are telling the story, the rings are starting to seat, and are clean.

I'm missing something here, again.
Total mileage since this was done is 37,213 miles. Only within the last 1,000 miles has this issue cropped up.

At 43k miles it'll stop burning oil ?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Mark, it will never stop, it has to wear the rings down to make up for mot being properly fitted. It will only get a bit better.
Eventually he will have to do an " in frame" which is to put in a new set of rings.
I would just drive it like I owned it until the blow by started up, which will probably take a while, then do a ring change.

Well, uhmm. Filing the end of the rings wasn't something that was even thought of. I did however measure the ring gap with the rings in each of the 8 holes. I'm not sure how that has any impact but that's why I'm here , to ask that which I either didn't know of or did know of and didn't do anything with it.

Compression check results: Cylinders one through eight- ALL were found to be well within spec at 150-160 psi. Leakdown test revealed that no cylinder leaked off at more than a 5 % loss within 10 minutes.

So the findings of rings not yet seating appears to be nearly perfect . Having run this monster up and down the roads I've come to accept the occasion use of a quart of 10-40 to be perfectly acceptable.

Ford Truck Articles