Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

off road lights..

i bought a couple 100 watt halogen lights to go on my cherokee. it just says to run them through a fuse and the igniton so it won't drain the battery...

what size switch would i need to run the two lights with? is a 15 amp switch to little?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
200 watts.....so your current is determined by dividing the watts by the voltage...so 200/12....16.6 amps.
You could use a switch....find one rated 20 amps and use #12 wire.
A relay might be easier.

alright, i have #12 wire already and the 20 amp switches are cheap enough i might do that for awhile at least until i want to add more

the install directions say run into ignition so they don't drain the battery if left on. then step two says follow diagram below for wiring. goes light into switch, then into fuse, ignition, then into battery.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you are considering adding more, you might find it easier and more reliable in the long run to run a decent size feed such as #8 (fused) to a fused distribution block and use relays.
You really want to minimize the length of the heavy current carrying conductors.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
the install directions say run into ignition so they don't drain the battery if left on. then step two says follow diagram below for wiring. goes light into switch, then into fuse, ignition, then into battery.

They are then assuming you will use a relay...the switched power from the ignition to the coil of the relay....you sure as hell won't be pinching 17 amps of switched ignition power without using one regardless of what the instructions say.

there is a kit with a relay and all the wires i need but the switch is only 15 amp. does that switch work with the relays?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If I'm understanding you right then yes, the 15 amp switch is more than enough, because the relay carries the load. You need only a small current through the switch to run the relay.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What Matt said, the coil draws a very small current.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts