Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Very hard idle help!!!

I have a 94.5 7.3 powerstroke. I took it camping and all was fine. Until I went to leave. I started it. It ran good for 3 seconds then died. Started it again ran good for 3 seconds then just started loping bad. Then when you drive it surges really bad. It feels like you can't eas into the throttle. Rpms just jump to 1500 with the slightest throttle. Can anyone help? Or at least kick my in the right direction. Thanks all

76f40bdb6bffedacc6f420012dc7b80f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
of what i could find for the 7.3's in the same description for your symptoms people were saying Crank Position Sensor, Injector Pressure Regulator, Clogged Fuel Filters (not completely but enough to let it start but quickly starve it of fuel), Weak fuel pump, or bad IDM (Injection Drive Module - i had to look that up what it was)... unfortunately no one ever returned in the threads i could find to say what the problem actually was when they solved it...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Probably like sparky first stated, CPS.
Those fail enough I carry a spare in the glove box

BUT that being said, don't just go throwing parts at it, scan for codes, and find out what's going on

You can get a forscan adapter for your phone that will pull the codes for you, and give you a start
Those scanners are reasonable in price

Money well spent if you are going to service your own truck

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
You can get a forscan adapter for your phone that will pull the codes for you, and give you a start

wasnt sure if that year was able to be scanned or not, i would have mentioned it as well if i had knew for sure...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's the original Ford OBD, so it's not a standard OBD2 scanning plug.

You can buy a specific purposed one for Ford for under $40. Or like mentioned above, buy the plug online and get the phone scanning app. I'd check first to see if the computer can give you any hints.

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You pull codes under the hood by the air box, yes it requires an adapter, it is included in the kit

Ford Truck Articles