Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5W-30 synthetic engine oil

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Will this weight be good for 1990 460 with 130K miles in central Florida?

The weight recommended by Ford, in the owners manual and maybe on the fill cap or the label on the core support.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
One thing to consider with synthetic is that the molecules are more uniform..which can lead to the idea that any leaks that you have "leak more"..or if there were no leaks that the synthetic "causes my engine to leak"

Having said that, I run synthetic in everything that I have...except the 2 stroke diesel...that only being the cost and the fact that those engines do digest oil as part of how they operate.

One thing to consider with synthetic is that the molecules are more uniform..which can lead to the idea that any leaks that you have "leak more"..or if there were no leaks that the synthetic "causes my engine to leak"

Having said that, I run synthetic in everything that I have...except the 2 stroke diesel...that only being the cost and the fact that those engines do digest oil as part of how they operate.

Or due to the fact,diesl is more harder on oil an you may change it more freq...
:)

Fellro

Staff member
Nah, it's a Detroit screaming Jimmy. If it aint leaking it aint running... ;)

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Oil is for lubricating; babies are for leaking. ;)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My '89 460 calls for 10W-30, which is what I use. Since I put about 1000 miles per year on it, I change the oil once per year with dino oil. I'm a cheap ass.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My philosophy on oil varies considerably from most. As long as it's not metal on metal, the engine doesn't really care. I've done anything from top shelf oil with 3000 mile OCI's to the cheapest of the cheap with 40,000 mile OCI's. And everything in between, with varying weights...and I've even used Type F before. Doing this resulted in two things, 1) the gas engines still clocked 250k on the odo and 2) Blackstone testing generally says I still have oil life left at 20,000 miles. Currently the 07 Edge and 08 MKZ are both in the 160-170k range on the odo. I've used whatever is handiest from 0w-20 to 15w-40, some dino, some semi-syn, some full syn. Both have seen 5, maybe 6 oil changes each in their life. What I will say makes a significant difference is oil filtration though. I'll also say, on vehicles that sit a lot, I'll go ahead and do a once a year change for the moisture build up.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I seem to recall a blanket TSB from something like 10-12 years ago where Ford changed the recommendation on many vehicles from 10W-30 to 5W-30. Might want to do a (free) TSB search over on bbbind and see if your vehicle is covered.

Since truck will see only 1000 miles or so in a year, as suggested, I will change oil and filter annually for sure and prob go to 10W-30.

Just flushed rad and found hoses (good looking on outside) to be weak and rotting on inside and so Replaced all 5 hoses. Not cheap! BTW, I'm cheap.

Jerry

Ford Truck Articles