Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seal between Transfer Case and C6 Transmission

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It seems like the seal between my NP205 transfer case and the C6 transmission is leaking gear lube. What is involved with changing the seal? The leak is just an occasional drip, but I don't like drips. Anybody with experience or words of wisdom?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If it's like my 94 fr70w, it's automatic transmission fluid in both.
It's just a gasket between them, still available from Ford.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You will have a 205 I believe Doug....so gear oil....and if I remember when I took mine apart, there is an intermediate housing that goes from the back of the transmission to the transfer case...the transmission has an extended shaft with splines that go into the transfer case (from what I can recall)...I can confirm that in a couple of days by looking at mine...remind me here or shoot me a text.

I think you have to drop the transfer case to get at that seal, but it's just a press in with a big socket type deal...remember Quad 4x4 for getting the proper seal.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Charlie, and Duncan. Yes, Duncan, there is an intermediate housing between the two that separates the tcase from the transmission. Probably be a job for a mechanic, since I don't have the necessary tools.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is an "adapter" that goes between all of them. It takes the same gasket both ends. When you get the gasket from Ford, there are 2 in the pack.

i will see if I have a side view of the 2 pieces mated back together, in my computer when I get home

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
But if gear lube is leaking...it is coming from the transfer case input shaft..then leaking from the gasket(s) around the intermediate housing is it not?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If I remember right, the input shaft is located below the intermediate housing, and the leak seems to be coming from above the input shaft. Or that is what it seems. Since there is a crossbrace there, I can't get a really good look at it. The fluid is not red, so I'm pretty certain it's gear lube??? Plus, it's too damn hot to spend a lot of time under there, even tho it's shaded. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll have to look...but Charlie will probably have the correct answer before I get a chance to look :)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Older rigs had 90 wht in the transfer cases. Newer rigs had the ATF
Sorry for the delay guys, been busy here with all the storms.......

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You can cut a paper gasket for it......
They still sell gasket paper

looks like you can just pull the t case off the housing, should be a lot easier.

if you order a gasket set from felpro you can get the t case mounting gasket, if not aviation gasket maker works great, just dont get it on anything this stuff wont brake down period, hell it will hold up to av gas

found some pictures. looks like this guy pulled the extension housing off.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/499052

the seals are easy to change on 205 but it is on heavy award mother to put back up with out the truck on a lift

Ford Truck Articles