Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.9 300's

I thought these motors were supposed to be bullet proof? Mine is in the shop now getting new main bearing and shaft turned. Just had a valve job a month ago! I love my truck and have had it 13 years. But lately its one thing after another. I wont (cant) get rid of her too much in it over the years.....

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
The 300 is a tough mofo for sure, but over the years even a stone hammer will wear out.

Sustained high rpms from low gears and or high speed seem to be their enemy.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The other enemy is short hop/low rpm useage. Had friends need to overhaul a 4.9 because of excessive carbon buildup. Very low mileage truck- '77 with about 80K on it right now.

1994 ford f150 flareside 4.9

I have about about 10 fords and 3 with the 4.9. I have just pulled the motor in the 1994 4.9 and was going to do a underhaul but after checking the main and rod bearing I question without turning crank and boring. all bearings are showing a lot of copper but spark plugs are clean and have white c oating. would like to get off as cheap as possible

Ford Truck Articles