Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My project truck 1978 f250 4x4 400 4 speed

Thought I would start out with a big hello to my fellow Ford fans. I picked up a 1978 f250 a month ago and have started a rebuild process with my son's help.

Hopefully I can capture some of it here. Not sure if the pick will post but here is my truck.

CYkv21OJCxAQsop-YMvgKENBSYMhdb6zXb4JqKefdYOJ4BHUXNjp-Ya4Q7vVv8mwibO3hOkR2JREt1FxuwFrcWTQrFJ0Uo2q8aqP9-Nm7jZDZjUvZKxiHrhM1Z6c43yp_0svdHOjPQNdGDhS68M_cHOobutG9ZkNmz9o9N12kTeJwYI3b8mHOJUjZoZPuPn41py5zvDvVNg7pPnOipl5OZc7OJN3wsNDPQOknjB93A7AoqomeAQ_4st35Vb_TF_5IBsgTWoQDRPM1SK2SPGPp0GQ3GZelNUVZJUDqOFLFXEcWDqxPtY0iT7MCnZeccSaQm-Bicx2I0rnvkV-DJF_gnNkGi-nlxR58qYurN6zAvEvpSVV7HBBKeOeRuhGGGkgBH4yqjfW6taE-doCCgRE7LeL1KrdCAijU5O5J0birtTRaGvmkUVaylIOBsdGBFvn4CED6MOTYzXXwBZuxdlr2A8xZqiWbqIL1R-mQeyU9fjpZJJofR5_lQXXL5GyZg6C80AXTCJC85eV9PuG56L8Q3IARC1E_rZLgOiI8JeSWEvz=w1200-h676-no

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Didn't post....sounds like a cool project, looking forward to seeing your progress...and the truck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
IMG_20150726_155327252.jpg

Hopefully this one works

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you using a 3rd party pic host or uploading here?

Progress to date

Well been a long couple weeks. Here is what has been done so far:
1. Replace original ford hubs with Warn Premium hubs, can't get the drivers side off, seems like something is bound up or the outer shaft is damaged.
2. Replace everything on the front of the engine, timing chain edelbrock 4 degrees advanced, water pump, fuel pump, thermostat, heater lines, sleeved harmonic balancer, and a new front seal.
3. I am cleaning up the radiator now and will be de-greasing the rest of the engine bay trans, etc. Put in a new coolant reservoir, washer pump reservoir and pump this weekend. Hopefully now we have more oil in the engine then out of the engine.

Next big project will be the wiring harness. The glove box light looks like it shorted some time ago and burned its way back to the fuse box. This resulted in a melted pool of sheathing and a lot of wires that should have been shorted. I have a new harness coming. I will post how that goes after I get it here.

IMG_20150920_164427869.jpg

IMG_20150925_141124816.jpg

IMG_20150930_205147462.jpg

IMG_20151003_204559762.jpg

And This to

Found this while digging around as well
IMG_20150927_223058897.jpg

Rear leaf rear hanger bolt backed out sometime in the last 30 years, hopefully in the short term I can tighten up, can't find a reference to what size bolt it is.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Using Picasa. I think it should be working now. I didn't have the pictures in a public library. let me know if it doesn't work and I will adapt.

Thanks,

It worked, if you choose to use the galley here, the pics can be much larger and easier to see, but whatever works for you smilieFordlogo

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Awesome truck!!! Welcome to the ol FTF! Good choice is the 6th Generation trucks, especially the standard cab long beds. I have a 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special, that's also a standard cab long bed but mine is a two wheel drive with a 400 engine with an Edelbock intake manifold, with a Holley single feed four barrel carburetor, and a GM style HEI distributor, and ACCEL 8MM plug wires with a C6 automatic transmission with a shift kit in it. Which a great combination , and I'm very happy with it. Dents or Dentsides are slang names for the 73 - 79 body style due to the upper body contours. Have fun, take your time, and PLEASE don't give up, be be patient for you'll have a good looking truck, although you're starting with a good solid truck for your project.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

Well had a fun week. Had to tear it back down to the timing set to fix a engine problem and repair a stripped water pump bolt. Used a halicoil for that, pretty slick tool. Turns out I may have an aftermarket cam. When I set my crank sprocket timing set to 4 advanced I was getting severe blow back as I revved the engine. Set it to 0 and she runs awesome. Starts with a bump revs fast and strong. Vacuum jumped from 10 to 18 inhg.

Spent a few hours degreasing the engine bay, transmission, transfer case etc. I can see grease zerts, case stamps, all kinds of interesting things that were buried under years of grease. Hopefully i can find where else I am leaking and start the process of fixing them.

Got the new wiring harness in, may try to hunt with the truck before I put that in place, looks like it is going to take some time, but should be pretty nice and solve some other miscellaneous problems with lights and other items. I will probably do a how to on that one as I do it.

Good luck to all of you working on your trucks.

keep it up. happy thoughts of cleaner components, i had rolling under grease ball trucks and equipment.

Ford Truck Articles