Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

part id on top of air cleaner

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
DSCF0308.JPG

Can anybody tell me what the part id is on the valve on top of the air cleaner. This provides vacuum under cold engine temps to close the flap on the end of the air cleaner.

I am getting vacuum from the intake manifold to the valve, and I can suck on the check valve and get the flap to close easily, but the valve on top of the air cleaner is not allowing vacuum to get to the flap. Are these still available somewhere?

That's the sensor assembly (9E607) for air cleaner air temperature control

IIRC, it is heated vacuum actuated which means the warmth of the vacuum allows for the opening of the air door on the air cleaner snorkle.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Finally located a new air cleaner temperature sensor. It was a NOS Borg Warner from Rock Auto.

Previously, the local parts store located 1 in Ohio and sent it to me. The package was sealed and there was a gasket and a mounting bracket, but no sensor.:headbang: To top it off, the parts counter guy had to go over the package with a fine tooth comb to see where I had "resealed" the package.:nutkick: Then the parts guy(we call him "Gump") responded by saying that if it were HIS truck, he would have jerked that SOB off and plugged the hole.

Installed the sensor today, and the flap on the end of the air cleaner actually closes now on a cold start. It's fun to show people that parts on a 30ish year old truck can still function as designed.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Now there's a mental image.
Did you make sure that there was no one that could walk in on you while doing this? LMAO

Yes, I looked up and down the street two times before I tried that.

Ford Truck Articles