Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

76' F100 2 Wd Front Brake Pads

HI TO ALL, GLAD TO BE ABOARD.
I HAVE A 76 SHORT BED F100 2WD WITH INLINE 300 6CYL.
BEEN GETTIN IT SHAPED UP SLOWLY PUT A FOOR SHIFTER IN (3 SPD MANUAL) AND BURNED THE BENCH SEAT AND PUT SOME REAL GOOD BACK SUPPORTING COMFORTABLE BUCKET SEATS IN THAT I BOUGHT AT A FLEA MARKET HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY CAME OUT OF HAD TO MAKE SPECIAL BRACKETS TO MOUNT THEM. GOT A AAIR COMPREESOR AN A SPRAY GUN GONNA PAINT IT SOONI F I CAN DECIDE ON A COLOR IT'S LIGHT BLUE NOW.
LOVE MY TRUCK SRONG MOTOR AND ALL JUST LOTS OF PLAY IN THE STEERING WISH I KNEW HOW TO FIX THAT.
BUT RIGHT NOW I'M TRYING TO PUT NEW PADS ON THE FRONT BRAKES AND DONT KNOW HOW TO GET THE CALIPERS LOOSE TOOK THE BOLT OUT , IS THERE A PIN THAT I HAVE TO KNOCK OUT? IT WILL BE APPECIATED IF SOMEONE IN THE GROUP WOULD TELL ME HOW GET THOSE PADS ON AND SOME INFO ON THE LOOSE STEERING PROBLEM.
THANX A MILLION IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE I MIGHT GET!
RAYDIOBOB..... [email protected]

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the site. I am sure when daylight comes around someone will be along to answer your question.

My dad had a 77 when I was growing up with the 300 I6 and 3 speed. I loved driving that truck to high school. I wish I knew the answer to your brake caliper issue, but I do not recall ever helping dad with the brakes on that one.

BTW: One of our moderators moved this into the F-100 area. Hopefully, it will be seen quicker.

Last edited:
RaydioBob,
Welcome to the SITE!
We have quite a few very knowledgeable people around here who are constantly willing and trying to HELP!
First, I must say I moved your question to the proper "Area". You will notice our forum is arranged in kind of a "Tree" structure, and since your question is about your 1978 F-100, I moved it here, to the F-100 zone!

Now as to your question;
If I recall correctly, the caliper is simply held in by two spring pins that run thru it at both "ends" and thru the mount you see in the upper left of this pic:
Dana44supercab78hubs.jpg

Just drift the pins out and the caliper will come off. remember to wire it up out of the way while you service the rest so no strain is placed on the hose. If you must disconnect the hose, remember you are going to need new copper washers for it.
Hope this helps!

Is it made like the 4WD rangers are?

They have two small pieces of sheetmetal that is vulcanized to a piece of rubber. That is the "pin" that the caliper slides on.

To drive them out, you squeeze the metal together a little (squish the rubber) and gently drive them out.

I have seen guys get rough with them and destroy them. I never damaged any of the ones in my ranger over the 16 years I had it.

I am pretty sure parts stores will have them in stock (NAPA is the best for my truck) if one gets damaged.

Yeah, that's them. I usually took a pair of locking pliers to hold them "squished" and tapped them out using a round drift (punch)

Fellro

Staff member
They are similar, if I recall, the piece that is retained by that bolt also gets driven out to release the caliper, the rubber pieces on those years also had to be removed to get it on out, but the metal piece releases a little pressure you can get them out. The rubber pieces can be a little tricky but just push in to get the tab to clear, and they will go on out.

To take off the front calipers you have to pound out a wedge that is just above the bolt you took out, it can go either way. Once you do that your caliper will be lose.

Ford Truck Articles