Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission issue

Fellro

Staff member
Couple things it can be, either the converter is draining down, but if it goes in reverse I don't think that is the case, the other is hard seals. They don't catch the fluid pressure very well, leaking past them. The best fix for such is overhaul, otherwise try something like Lucas trans stop leak and seal conditioner.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if it aint one thing its another!!it takes 2 minutes for my trans to kick into drive..thats after the trucks warmed up for 5..goes right into reverse gear,whats the deal anybody??

this same thing happened to me in my old F100. it had a C6. and trust me as time goes by it will only get worse. it got to the point i had to back in to drive ways cause when i backed out into the street it would take forever to shift into gear. and when i traded it last January the time it took was up to bout 5 minutes and thats no kidding.

but heres my advice.

take it to a local tranny shop. THAT YOU TRUST!!!! and let them give there opinion on it. lots of times its something simple like the convertor might be draining down. or there are seals that are leaking and not allowing the fluid to flow correctly to shift the tranny.

The c6 i just took out of blue did this. Mine was a case of bad seals. Seal conditioner made it a little better. (Recommended by a trustworthy transmission shop) Also, when you are waiting for it to engage, rev it up to like 2 grand. Always got mine goin

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
The c6 i just took out of blue did this. Mine was a case of bad seals. Seal conditioner made it a little better. (Recommended by a trustworthy transmission shop) Also, when you are waiting for it to engage, rev it up to like 2 grand. Always got mine goin

I had one that did that, figured the seals were shot, but it was s'posed to been rebuilt before I got it. Turned out the dipstick at the tranny shop put the wrong dipstick in the truck - thought it was full, it was low on oil...

Had a '76 F250 with a C6 that had that problem. Didn't really bother me until it was taking 10 min to 'warm' up before it would engage in drive lol. Took her to my local AMCO shop and they rebuilt it for $700 (paid em cash no tax and they did it in 2 days). They said it was pretty whipped...

Ford Truck Articles