Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What to look for?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I'm thinking of buying a mid to late 80's Ford Ranger or Bronco II. Is there anything I should be looking for that were common problems with these trucks?

I'm trying to find something that is a 4x4 and has a V6. Would like to find a manual transmission also.

Any advice on buying an older model used vehicle with high mileage would also be appreciated.

Avoid the automatic at all costs. The A4LD anyway. The later ones were not as bad. 4R55E and the 5R55E are fine.

Try to get one with a trac-lock rear axle if you can find it. 4.10 gears are good too. Just harder to find.

Give me more specifics when you go looking and I will try to assist.

This is sort of a personal oppinion, but I would not own one with the 3.slow (3.0 V6 to those who don't use me terms).

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Thanks for the info Brian.

I've hear bad things about the A4LD too. Is there an axle code for the trac-lock and 4.10 gears?

I'm not going to take my time and not rush into anything even if that means passing on a few trucks that aren't too bad to find one that's right for me.

I do not know the axle codes for the 4.10. Usually, on a ford, it will have a "D" for the trac-lock.

I can go over to ranger resource and ask if you want (I am a global moderator there). It might even be in their wiki tech pages.

EDIT: Axle codes on RR http://pedia.rangerresource.net/index.php?title=Axle_Codes

This is strictly my opinion: If I was looking for an older daily driver....

91-94 explorer sport (2 door), 4.0 OHV, standard transmission, 1350 (manual) t-case, D35 front axle w/manual hubs, 4.10 gears w/trac lock, 4X4.

The Bronco IIs only had the 2.9. Some of the last year (90) B IIs had a mixed D28/D35 front. A Very few had a true D35 front.

Later rangers had the same things as the explorers (as far as I know).

Very rare combination to find in the early explorers, but they are out there.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
So, ah, Scott, ah, MUSTANG???? How big IS that dog house of yours anyway??

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
So, ah, Scott, ah, MUSTANG???? How big IS that dog house of yours anyway??

We both know that the Mustang is going to take a little while and she wants to learn to drive a manual transmission before she gets it so that's the reason I'm looking for something like this. A Ranger or Bronco II aren't the only options either. If we could find a nice mid 90's Mustang for a decent price we would go for that too.

Brian thanks for the info.

Whatever I get won't be a daily driver but something to tinker with in the garage and maybe modify a little here and there.

If you are going to "tinker", then buy what looks good and add to it as you go. You can swap engines, axles, transmissions, transfer cases, and everything else. I thought you were looking for one to drive.

Personally, I will never go back to a car if I have a choice. Even a nice mustang. Cars and I just don't go together. I am used to driving over and through too much stuff after the last 18 years or so. LOL

...........91-94 explorer sport (2 door), 4.0 OHV, standard transmission, 1350 (manual) t-case, D35 front axle w/manual hubs, 4.10 gears w/trac lock, 4X4.......Very rare combination to find in the early explorers, but they are out there.

Just to add to that...they also had an 8.8 under them. Drum brakes, but still stronger than the 7.5 used in the rangers and B IIs of that era.

Ford Truck Articles