Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help identifying this chassis

Acquired in a trade and have no idea what I have. Any chance anyone can tell me from the picture where to start looking. It's a dually, 351 automatic. Frame has thick reinforcement plates on it like it must have carried lots of weight. Will try and get some pictures posted. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Need to see front to see what year off of . But its a 1 ton for sure

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
dual tanks doesn't mean its a 1 ton by any means.

The spring packs do look heavy though. How many bolts in the wheels, what axles are in it? Which transfer case is it? Which transmission? What is the wheel base?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
also, it looks like it has a cab on it. A pic of that would definitely help.

Unfortunately the cab is no help since it's 1948 studebaker m15. It's a two wheel drive so no transfer case. It does have an automatic. To me it looks like the engine and trans and rear end have been married to this frame since birth. I will try to attach a few more pics of the frame and diff area. Going to flip the studebaker cab off tomorrow to see if I can see any numbers on the frame under the cab. I looked all over the engine yesterday and my only clue is the valve covèrs have 8 bolts so I suspect it's a 351.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is there any ID numbers stamped into the top of the framerails anywhere?

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My buddys dad had a 85 F350 like that.

His was a dump truck. It required the extra steel for handling huge loads and not twisting up the frame when lifting/dumping.

Fellro

Staff member
It has dual wheels on it, and has to be prior to 87, no VSS in the axle. if the fill plug is in the axle housing, it would be between 85-6. If it is in the diff cover, it would be 84 or older.

Finally found a number

Is there any ID numbers stamped into the top of the framerails anywhere?

I finally found the number on the right frame rail just fwd of the trans crossmember. It is F37BPA53178. Can you tell me what I have. Thanks in advance to all

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have an 85 manual and this is what I can figure out...are you sure that was all the numbers?...the manual indicates there should be 17

F37 is F350 4x2 with 11000 gvw

I think what I have is A 1979 2 wheel drive Chassis and cab (F350). I am basing the 1979 on the vin sequence number A53178. It was built in twin cities and originally had a 300 CU six in it.

To further complicate this mess is it now has a 351 and automatic in it I can't identify. Also is currently a dually but not sure if it came that way. More research ahead..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts