Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Barnett High Performance

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm thanks for the info :)

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Don't overly think your project Tex, pick what you like and go for it. You have a 302 in your truck now and it can be built to run fast.
www.302w.com
www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

Here is a brief list of my favorite engines:

350 Chevy (2-piece oil seal)
426 Chrysler Hemi ( 1964 2nd Gen)
302 & 351 Ford Windsor

Do i like others, yes but these are my fall back engines as they are good starting points for just about any application, and you will notice all but one is a small block.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Don't overly think your project Tex, pick what you like and go for it. You have a 302 in your truck now and it can be built to run fast.
www.302w.com
www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

Here is a brief list of my favorite engines:

350 Chevy (2-piece oil seal)
426 Chrysler Hemi ( 1964 2nd Gen)
302 & 351 Ford Windsor

Do i like others, yes but these are my fall back engines as they are good starting points for just about any application, and you will notice all but one is a small block.

Why do you specifically pick a 350 with a 2-piece oil seal? Just curious.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Why do you specifically pick a 350 with a 2-piece oil seal? Just curious.

Main reason is availability, since there were more of the original 2-piece oil seal style made. When they switched to the 1-piece oil seal the crank changed as well do to the oil seal design. You can have the 2-piece style crank machined to fit into a 1-piece style block if need be. There is also a larger aftermarket choice for the 2-piece style crank. Both engine designs perform the same, only difference is the oil seal, so it is a personal choice and no i wouldn't throw a 1-piece style engine out.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Main reason is availability, since there were more of the original 2-piece oil seal style made. When they switched to the 1-piece oil seal the crank changed as well do to the oil seal design. You can have the 2-piece style crank machined to fit into a 1-piece style block if need be. There is also a larger aftermarket choice for the 2-piece style crank. Both engine designs perform the same, only difference is the oil seal, so it is a personal choice and no i wouldn't throw a 1-piece style engine out.

Cool. I was just wondering since I always wish my 302 was a one-piece vs. 2-piece seal. :)

wrong info

And that's what I'm getting from everybody...I haven't seen any of their extreme street stuff...so I don't know what to expect. I even know two guys who were interested in the 496, and kept sending in questions about it...but Barnett ended up blocking them.

I think you guys need to get your facts straight here. Some of you guys quote me like you know me. Need to be careful of what you say on these forums when everyone sees them and your not sure. Some of this stuff you guys are saying is really funny.

I never said that these 496s would go 100 miles max. Their race engines. not made for the street at all!
I have always told anybody that called me what the parts were in these.
Here is my number if you have questions 517 719 5185

If you want to pay for custom one off parts then more power to you. I think there are other things you could put your money into to make power but some truck pullers want to or have to run original block and want as much cid as possible, money not the issue.

You don't have to go .080 over bore but with a filled or partial filled race prepared blocks this isn't a problem. We actually sonic these blocks before selecting which ones are used for this and have never had a problem period.

I have never blocked anybody from emails period. This is what I do for a living and that would be counter productive.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gooooood-ness...necroposting at it's finest.

I think you guys need to get your facts straight here. Some of you guys quote me like you know me. Need to be careful of what you say on these forums when everyone sees them and your not sure. Some of this stuff you guys are saying is really funny..

I don't think anyone quoted you like they know you in this thread. As a matter of fact, I only relayed what was spoken directly to me, and what a couple other guys said about the info they gathered. And to be blunt, 4 long years ago, when I did call, it was something to the effect that for more details I'd need to be a paying customer due to secrets or some jazz. Paraphrasing.

I never said that these 496s would go 100 miles max. Their race engines. not made for the street at all!
I have always told anybody that called me what the parts were in these.
Here is my number if you have questions 517 719 5185..

I don't see where anyone said 100 miles max...I do see 100k...which for a race engine, isn't too shabby...but obviously isn't for a DD. As for what parts, see above...hence the reason I went TMI 100% of the time. Maybe you were having a bad day or something, I don't know.

If you want to pay for custom one off parts then more power to you. I think there are other things you could put your money into to make power but some truck pullers want to or have to run original block and want as much cid as possible, money not the issue...

I didn't see anyone dispute that either.

You don't have to go .080 over bore but with a filled or partial filled race prepared blocks this isn't a problem. We actually sonic these blocks before selecting which ones are used for this and have never had a problem period....

That's good to know...ever run across any of the Todd Buttermore blocks???

I have never blocked anybody from emails period. This is what I do for a living and that would be counter productive.

Meh...hearsay...maybe it happened, maybe it didn't. If it didn't you didn't lose them as customers anyway, and I doubt a 4 year old thread hurt your business if you're still around to post on it.

Anyway...glad to have you aboard, I hope you stick around to offer up help to the 335 enthusiasts.

Ford Truck Articles