Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Hobbies > 'Puters

'Puters Tech help! Hardware, Software... Truck guys can be geeks too.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Hard time with computers!

We're on our 4th computer in 6 months.

The one I picked up yesterday is an HP desktop. Fingers crossed. I did notice that the new HP has B&O stereo software installed. The music quality is very nice! I'm out in the garage rocking out to a you tube mix. I hope this one lasts a lot longer than the previous three. The Windows 10 seems to be an improvement for once. These newer computers only use an HDMI connection for the monitor, so I had to buy an adapter for my 2 year old Samsung monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!

Last edited by fatherdoug; 11-05-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
windows 10 is ok as long as it is installed on a new computer. The hp is a good computer.
Randy
Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you, Randy.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2015, 01:54 AM
73-79 Ford Trucks Rock

Big Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the rough
There should be a connector on the back of that computer that's a trapezoid shape for your monitor, and it is labelled video, check your manual or setup sheet that came with your computer, and should show the back of the machine with all the ports listed, but I'll check the back of my computer, and I'll let you know, for I'm also running an HP myself x 2 a desktop and a laptop with Beats audio on the laptop, and I'm still running Windows 8 on them both, and my laptop I mainly use that for my Computer Science course at Cornell University for my programming assignments. Ah who ever heard of a geek or a nerd cruising aroun in a 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat? Not your typical Nerd mobile.����
Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
We're on our 4th computer in 6 months.

The one I picked up yesterday is an HP desktop. Fingers crossed. I did notice that the new HP has B&O stereo software installed. The music quality is very nice! I'm out in the garage rocking out to a you tube mix. I hope this one lasts a lot longer than the previous three. The Windows 10 seems to be an improvement for once. These newer computers only use an HDMI connection for the monitor, so I had to buy an adapter for my 2 year old Samsung monitor.
That's weird in this day and age....I think.....we've always used Dell (primarily because we can hang on to an old operating system as long as we possibly can to stay compatible with all of our office computers and laptops); I like how we can customize each purchase.

We stagger the upgraded desktops annually so we're not replacing all of them at once. Our desktops last 3-4 years on average.
2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."
Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
There's nothing as good as the desktop experience, no matter how much everyone goes to touch/handheld.

HP makes a good unit, but if you step into pretty much any company's "business class" hardware, you'll get a SOLID machine.

Ryan
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim F150 View Post
There should be a connector on the back of that computer that's a trapezoid shape for your monitor, and it is labelled video, check your manual or setup sheet that came with your computer, and should show the back of the machine with all the ports listed, but I'll check the back of my computer, and I'll let you know, for I'm also running an HP myself x 2 a desktop and a laptop with Beats audio on the laptop, and I'm still running Windows 8 on them both, and my laptop I mainly use that for my Computer Science course at Cornell University for my programming assignments. Ah who ever heard of a geek or a nerd cruising aroun in a 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat? Not your typical Nerd mobile.����
There is no VGA connection on the back of this desktop. The monitor has a VGA and DVI, but no HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxreliever View Post
That's weird in this day and age....I think.....we've always used Dell (primarily because we can hang on to an old operating system as long as we possibly can to stay compatible with all of our office computers and laptops); I like how we can customize each purchase.

We stagger the upgraded desktops annually so we're not replacing all of them at once. Our desktops last 3-4 years on average.
Glad to hear you're having good luck with Dell. Our experience with a couple of laptops wasn't quite as peachy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
There's nothing as good as the desktop experience, no matter how much everyone goes to touch/handheld.

HP makes a good unit, but if you step into pretty much any company's "business class" hardware, you'll get a SOLID machine.

Ryan
Agreed. The ability to have expansion ports, to me, is still important.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post

Ryan
That is a good point.....I know Dell sells a cheapy version of computers/laptops for the regular retail market and then they have the more pricey business machines that are incredible stable/durable and very much upgrade-able.
2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."
Old 11-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Hang in there Doug.

The last time I bought an off the shelf computer was back in Y2000. Included with the purchase was discovering that I was light years ahead in terms of PC knowledge compared to customer support, how the machine was loaded with bloatware, and how it never was "right" (vulnerable to locking up and self-rebooting while in use) until I formatted the hard drive and started from scratch. I build my own now, the only way to go, when you are done you will know exactly what you have and what it can do.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile View Post
Hang in there Doug.

The last time I bought an off the shelf computer was back in Y2000. Included with the purchase was discovering that I was light years ahead in terms of PC knowledge compared to customer support, how the machine was loaded with bloatware, and how it never was "right" (vulnerable to locking up and self-rebooting while in use) until I formatted the hard drive and started from scratch. I build my own now, the only way to go, when you are done you will know exactly what you have and what it can do.
That makes sense, Bill. But you're talking to somebody that can't even find the monitor connection on the back of the computer.

Quote:
Quote: