Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Hobbies > 'Puters

'Puters Tech help! Hardware, Software... Truck guys can be geeks too.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
PVR expander

We have one of the Arris Gateway systems for the house, it works great and we've only ever had a couple of issues that were solved over the phone with our cable provider.
They come with a 500GB internal drive and you can get an expansion drive to create more space...of course they have one they supply at an insane price...seems a big issue is that if the drive goes to sleep, it can cause an error where you need to reformat it...and then lose all your recordings.

I've been doing some reading on it and it seems that there are other drives that work well....ain't Forums great?

In any case, I picked up a Vantec case and a 3TB WD surveillance rated drive today...worked perfectly....10 minutes to format and I went from 52% full to 7% full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Last edited by DNFXDLI; 03-28-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
And that 3tb drive only cost as much as a small country?

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:56 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
And that 3tb drive only cost as much as a small country?
I didn't think it was bad....$35 for the case and $140 for the drive.
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Hell, that's about 10% of what I would have expected

Quote:

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Not everything up here is stupidly priced....
Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Amazing how technology prices fall. Hell, I remember when flash drives first became popular... My first one was a 256mb. Paid like $30 for it. But it held as much data as 184 floppy disks

Don't think you can even find a flash drive smaller than 5-10gb these days. And they're cheap

Quote:

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Yep, I agree.

I was actually going to get a case that would hold multiple HD's but it seems that the Gateway will only support up to 6TB and I haven't read enough that sez that it is without issues....but this should give me roughly 350 hours of HD recording.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 AM
You Had to be There

blackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Yep, I agree.

I was actually going to get a case that would hold multiple HD's but it seems that the Gateway will only support up to 6TB and I haven't read enough that sez that it is without issues....but this should give me roughly 350 hours of HD recording.
Duncan,

The 6TB limit by your gateway is only a limiting factor of the max size a single drive can be, this is because the gateway cannot deal with sector sizes on single drives larger than 6TB. That being said if you can hook a NAS up to your gateway then drive size becomes irrelevant since the gateway only sees the NAS server not its physical size.
NAS servers are only limited by the constraints of the RAID controller & OS you are using. In 32 bit OS systems the max Volume size is 16TB but if your RAID controller allows multiple volumes this is a moot point. Or you can use a 64 bit OS and then the Volume limit is beyond normal current available hardware.

Depending on how critical the data is you are storing, factors in how large of individual drives you want to use in a NAS. Using drives larger than 3TB in a RAID array introduces a whole host of complicated potentially downside consequences. do to the exponential increase of multiple drive failure and data loss during a rebuild. For example if you want a fairly stable RAID with lower data loss potential and need 12 TB of storage, then you are better off building two separate 4-disk RAID servers using 3TB drives (that is 8 3TB drives) in RAID 10.

As far as hard drive selection, WD Purple drives for continuous loop security camera recording work for that intended purpose but if you are building a RAID server then WD Red drives (at the minimum) are a better choice do to their design to be more resistant to vibration & heat present in a RAID array and how they deal with check-sum errors.
Also it is much easier to have a separate back-up of your RAID array and use it to restore the RAID if a drive is lost instead of relying on a single drive replacement and RAID rebuild.

"Might have won a suit, but what does that prove? You play the hand you're dealt and move on." -polarbear-

06 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Suburban Ford (Thanks Ernie)
04 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Van Bortel Ford (Thanks Jeff) [Traded 05/2006]

"Senator Obama's foreign policy seems to be somewhere between Rodney King's "Can't we just get along?" and Alfred E. Neuman's "What, me worry?" Thomas Sowell
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
Amazing how technology prices fall. Hell, I remember when flash drives first became popular... My first one was a 256mb. Paid like $30 for it. But it held as much data as 184 floppy disks
I remember buying a new hard drive to replace a rapidly filling existing one (it was, after all, 60Mb in size). Price back in the day? $1/Mb, and that dollar bought a lot more than today. So I bought a 360Mb drive. Color ink jet printers, like the kind we today throw away after cycling a few round of ink through them? Those were $600 and B&W was........$300. I went the cheap route. No scanner or fax in them either, those were extra. :-/

You guys got it real good today. pretty much everything is so cheap that if you don't have it, it's because you don't want it. Hello China.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp