Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear slider

Rear slider or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Having a waffle about whether to put a rear slider in the 79. It looks like I can get either in NOS. I'm pretty sure the truck came with a solid window as there is an aftermarket slider in it now. All the other trucks we've owned have had the slider in them, but I'm willing to bet that some were never even opened during the time we owned them. So....give me your opinions :D

I had a slider in a couple 78's and had one in the 2005, can honestly say I might've used it twice out of the 3 of em lol

Guess if you had a power option and didn't have to crawl back there to open it, it would probably be useful :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I had a slider in a couple 78's and had one in the 2005, can honestly say I might've used it twice out of the 3 of em lol

Guess if you had a power option and didn't have to crawl back there to open it, it would probably be useful :)

The 79 is a regular cab..so no worries on reaching and some of the other trucks had the power slider (including the 350 now) and I still don't really use them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I far prefer the slider in just about all applications. But...if you're going for a clean smooth, minimal lines kinda look, no slider then. I suppose it depends on use as well, if you have A/C I don't see the point in having it. If you live in a place that is cold longer than it's warm, I don't see the point. But for me, considering it's 75*+ 9 months out of the year, and I don't have A/C...the slider definitely enhances air flow. But the solid back window does look much much cleaner.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I far prefer the slider in just about all applications. But...if you're going for a clean smooth, minimal lines kinda look, no slider then. I suppose it depends on use as well, if you have A/C I don't see the point in having it. If you live in a place that is cold longer than it's warm, I don't see the point. But for me, considering it's 75*+ 9 months out of the year, and I don't have A/C...the slider definitely enhances air flow. But the solid back window does look much much cleaner.

It does have A/C and it is probably fairly even as far as temps go.

Good point Duncan...i automatically have SC thinking so yes, in a regular cab application, I'd say go for it - referencing Ben's thoughts as to the climate, A/C or no A/C, it'd be an ideal addition to have

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
My F100 has a slider. It also has no A/C, so a slider is almost a necessity here in Florida in my truck.

I'm pretty bummed that the Ranger doesn't have one. I may put one in it down the road..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Another reason why I prefer the sliders...is because there's something about having such a large flat piece of glass that keeps me uneasy. Maybe it's all the basketballs and baseballs and hard/heavy objects that are constantly getting thrown where ever I'm at...but replacing on 15x12 (guesstimation) section sounds alot better to me than a whole solid piece.

Rear Slider = The Canadian version of A/C without all that extra expensive stuff like evaporators,condensors,compressor,big box under the hood.

In Alberta, AC can be used at least 2 times every summer ..once) used to Test
Twice) used to cool cab

I had a '77 regular cab F250 (bought it new), it had the sliding rear window and a/c. I never really used the slider.
My current truck is an '07 F150 supercab. It has a power sliding window and I still don't really use it.
My project truck, a '73 F100, has a solid rear window. Overall I like the looks of the solid, one piece window. To me it looks cleaner.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I like a rear slider. I probably open it 5 times for every one time I turn on the A/C to cool the cab, in my truck equipped with both...and when I want some airflow, I'll open the rear window before the door window. Almost never drive around with just the door window open- don't like the way the wind flows through the truck as well.

*They do reduce your security some, on those older style windows, though...which, if you're prone to locking your keys in the truck, can actually be a good thing, I'm told...

Rear slider used to be mandatory for throwing the empties in the bed.

I have the original slider that came with my truck , but I cant find the the right size felt the glass slides in.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I put a slider in my old Dodge and had it open all the time, but haven't been able to bring myself to put one in my F100 even though I'm certain it would be open a lot.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Solid seems to flow better with dents...

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ive never had one that had a solid window and dont think I ever will. In the summer I have all the windows open and the slider helps alot with airflow.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i love the sliders in reg cab trucks.... had one in my 82 F100... in the Flareside i like the solid rear window a lil bit better. dont have to gymnastics to open the slider if i had a slider... i just wish i would get around to fixing my window motors..

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'd vote for the slider. It's an excellent way to get some air into the cab without having to listen to the noise from a side window or wing window.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i just wish i would get around to fixing my window motors..

Your truck will be down for 3 months...that should be a perfect time.

Cross-Thread reference jack over.

Ford Truck Articles