Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Hobbies > 'Puters

'Puters Tech help! Hardware, Software... Truck guys can be geeks too.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:22 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
laptop help for Mom

My mother is shopping for a laptop. I won't be using it, building it or helping her use it.

Excerpted from an email: ...I hate buying a new one. I'd rather give someone the money and tell them to pick it out. The people at Best Buy tried so hard to convince me to get this souped up thing, most of which I would never use. I left the store and can't bring myself to go back. I'll order something online.

Her uses would be primarily internet, email, word processing and maybe some photos and presentations (e.g. Powerpoint). For compatibility with work, price and (maybe) familiarity, I expect she wants Windows. 10, I guess, these days? Probably a bigger screen (15-16" range) as she doesn't really travel with it, but definitely a laptop.

Not sure what her price range is, but I'm thinking $350-ish is probably about where you start getting into decent machines these days?

I'm a little out of this game, and frankly have no interest in getting into it- but I'd like to help my Mom. Any computer-savvy folks with any advice?

Thanks!

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 PM
73-79 Ford Trucks Rock

Big Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the roughBig Jim F150 is a jewel in the rough
I have an HP Pavillion laptop with a 17.3 inch screen with Beats Audio, and I use it for school for my CS homework assignments I'm studying Computer Science part time at Cornell University. So it travels rather nicely, if your mom wants to travel and take it with her, I also have a cd/ dvd drive that things can be recorded, and I'm running Windows 8.0 and I only paid $540 for it including a carrying case from Best Buy last Decenber, and it has proven itself to be an excellent machine for the money. I'd highly recommend that what you get for her, and the newer versions are also running Windows 10. This would be a good time of year to get a good deal on one with the Christmas sales coming up.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
We bought a discount Lenovo, and that was a mistake. The quality was really crummy (circa 2012?). This was in the $300 zone. A few bucks more would have been money well spent because now it sits under our bed never to be used again.

HP makes the best consumer grade units, IMO. $400 buys a pretty sweet machine.

Business class starts at around $600. Not trying to get her to spend more than she wants, just saying that's then entry point for the great business class quality.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/busine...energy-star%29

For that $350 bang-zone, this is about as good as you'll do. And it's good. It's an internet and office application type deal. Would work great for a few years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...77&ignorebbr=1

Ryan
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
That's a decent laptop Ryan posted above. Your mom should be happy with it.
The lenovo laptops I have seen the last few years are garbage and end up as a door stop/paper weight as soon as or before the warranty is up.
Randy
Old 11-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Just bought a higher end HP desktop and have been very happy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!