Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4r44e transmission question.

racsan

4xford
got my "new" 97 going, but has a trans issue, no 1st gear but makes noise when in drive or first. can put in 2nd and it will move, shift to drive above 30 and will act like a normal automatic (2-4 gears all work) until you slow down and trans wants to be in 1st again. going to try a band adjustment but im sure something is broke. wish it was o/d that was out, a 3.0 starting in 2nd is pretty sluggish. anyone ever heard of a issue like this? i was under the assumption that if 1st was out then reverse would be too, but i have reverse. just no 1st.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Sounds like the one way clutch or Sprag as some call it is going out.
The reverse seems to last a bit before it drops out totally.
Just guessing on this one

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Going out on a limb here but you might check for codes in addition to what Randy mentioned. This because, there are several P07XX codes that are OBDII (ie, not manufacturer specific) and that, if present, could give you some indication as to the cause of the problem. Bonus points if you have access to a scan tool that can pull not just the OBDII codes, but the extended ones too (ie, proprietary to Ford, and you won't find that tool at autozone or Oreillys). FORscan (free windows version) and an ELM adapter ($10 and up) can do this.

Ford Truck Articles