Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cruise Control Quit Working.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Nice to know that it's fixed and working great!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool beans Doug!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Problem solved, but for future use, here is a list of symptoms that were all solved by replacing the Turn Signal Switch(TSS).

Problem began when the cruise control(factory setup) did not work.
I replaced the servo(NOS) and the vacuum amplifier(NOS). The cruise worked twice until I used the brakes to cancel the cruise. The cruise did not work after that.

After a little troubleshooting, I realized that the trailer brake controller(with an indicator light that goes from green to yellow when the brake is applied) would automatically move to yellow, simply by turning the ignition switch to the "On" position.

I also noticed that the front turn signals would work, but the back turn signals did NOT work. The same was true with the hazard flashers; the front flashers would work, but not the back. Also the rear brake lights would not light up.

All the above problems were solved by replacing the turn signal switch. My truck has a tilt wheel, so the replacement switch only has the pins at the end, so you have to snake the TSS wires down through the column, and then insert the pins into the connector under the dash, after removing the old wiring pins. BEWARE, the new TSS wiring does not exactly match the color coding for the old wiring. There are two wires that have a different color code, but can be figured out by a process of elimination. Matching the old wires with the new wires BEFORE installation will help.

There is a red "keeper" that holds the wires in place. Prying the keeper out before trying to remove wires, will allow the wires to come out simply by pressing the insert for each wire, then pulling them out the backside of the connector.

Be sure to insert the red keeper back into the connector before pushing the two halves of the connector together.(Don't ask me how I know this. :headbang:)

Ford Truck Articles