Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The Shakes

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
I did a search but wasn’t able to find anything on this subject so hopefully I didn’t miss anything. I am needing another truck just a run around truck locally. I am looking at a truck that is a good family friend. Several years ago when I worked for this friend, it was actually my company truck. It is a 1994 f-250 2wd with the 5.8l gas motor. The problem the truck is having is when you get between 30-55mph and hit a pothole. Occasionally the truck gets the shakes in the front end. The wheel jerks back and forth and gets worse until you slow down and it pulls out of it. Any thought on what I should look into?? I am more familiar with the new trucks and really don't know a whole lot about this trucks suspension.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Try searching for death wobble...I don't recall too many details, but I believe it has been discussed on here before.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
It is something or alot of somethings loose or worn out in the front end. I've dealt with it for years. You chase it down fix it and it comes back. It could be acombination of things. If it doesn't do.it till you hit a pot hole. The tires could be out of balance just a bit. Hope that helped

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Let us know what the resolution is for you. I'm sure plenty of folks would like to hear and it would be good to have another solution posted on the site.

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
sounds what happen to me before, i had a wheel not balanced right and then i had a shake then it rumbled my truck and bang my tire blew up. happened a week before that incident thought nothing of it just slowed down check the tire got going again and it stopped. 70 mph.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Man oh man...death wobble can be a bear to try and figure out...it can be anything from a worn bushing, to a steering shaft, to a loose shock mount, to a bunch of slightly worn parts not in harmony, to even a tire out of round or balance, to needing an alignment, to God knows what else. Best thing to do is raise the vehicle, have a buddy or someone jerk the steering wheel quickly back and forth from the 10 to 2 position and check for play starting from where the steering shaft comes out of the firewall and work your way down and out all the way to the tires. And when applicable, I like for them to go lock to lock at a 'normal' speed because I've had times where the issue doesn't arise until it gets 'over that hitch'...like a u-joint or ball joint (in my case I heard the 'thunk' just before full lock). Then if I don't see anything, I do it all over again on the ground with the vehicle running to see how it reacts when a little stress is applied, because the issue is amplified, could be a wallowed bushing that shows alot more movement with some stress or a loose shock tower that wasn't moving when weight wasn't applied. Also check and see if you have any play in the tire from top to bottom and front to rear. Good luck.

Last edited:

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
Well I finally have had a few minutes to take a look at the truck. Finally got it back to the shop this morning. After a new battery, and some fresh gas she fired right up.

Just a few updates:
-Haven’t had much time to look at the front end but the front passenger tire is balled.
-Truck idles and runs fine but, shifting into drive and reverse it wants to die and unless you power shift it a little.
-Truck has dual tanks, if you fill both tanks and run off of the front tank first it pumps all of the fuel from the front tank into the back tank and blows fuel past the fuel cap. I didn't even know this was possible.

This is all for now. Heading down to the shop this evening to look into it a little closer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much, but just enough to get myself in trouble, but I'll sure have fun doin it. Pics and more details to come!! smilieFordlogo

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
Here are a few pics I will get some more if it ever stops raining!

Checked the ball joints and tie rods last and everyting feels tight. I am going to take it and get and alingment this week and see what that brings. The passenger side tire is wore real bad on the outer side and not as bad on the inside. Any ideas to look at on that.
P4260382.jpg

P4260381.jpg

P4260389.jpg

The ol girls not too bad a shape for 227,xxx on the clock.
P4260386.jpg

Lastly what is this and what should be hooked up to it?? I looked and looked and looked and could not find anything to fit it.
P4260380.jpg

As for tonight she is gonna get new plugs and wires. And a new power steering cap, whenever you turn lock to lock the caps pops off and makes one hell of a mess.:beer: :beer:

Nothing is supposed to be hooked up to the "air pump muffler".
I know it looks sick 'n' twisted left open like that, but that's
how they were new, no kidding. :)

My '75 F150 got the death wobble at about half your miles
because of the high percentage of high speed dirt road miles
it got by ~130k. It too has got about 230k now. :)

"its next to impossible to figure them out sometimes" -nflfreak43

x2

So... don't figure it out, just replace steering and suspension
parts like you mean business and fix-it without figuring it out! ;)

That's the way I did it, it worked for me. What's the point of
saving a few bucks by using an old part with a bunch of new
parts anyway? I'd be like putting a new chain on your dirt bike
with wornout sprockets, or something like that?

Alvin in AZ
ps-
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/toe-in1.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/toe-in2.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The fuel issue used to be a recall, but too much time has passed, and Ford don't honor it anymore. The fuel regulator in 94 was made from carbon steel to save money. it wears out, and puts full pressure against the check valve in the fuel pump, causing it to wear out. This allows the fuel to return to the wrong tank. You have to replace the regulator, and the pump. When you replace the pump, get the whole hanging unit, not just the electrical pump. Test the other tank by running on the front tank to be sure the check valve is good in that one. In my 94, I had to replace both pumps.

The front end problem is probably due to worn out parts

Krafty

Missouri Chapter member
I've got a 1994 f250 4x4 that had the "death wobble" and when I replaced the rotors, shocks, and wheel bearings it solved my problem don't know if this helps but but it worked for me

Yup it ended up being shocks, tie rod ends, and a passenger side wheel bearing. Unfortunatly I toasted the tranny 2 weeks later......... Just my luck!!

Ford Truck Articles