Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 f150 5.0 Running problems

RED352

Florida Chapter member
96 f150 4x4 5.0 165k miles.

So, truck has some demons. Truck will run great when it's cold. Plenty of power, never misses a lick. Until it gets up to running temperature. Then it's loses power while driving. Mainly when taking off from a stop. Will idle perfect. Only runs bad when driving. As it's gets warmer it progressively gets worse. Eventually will shut off completely, then won't recrank until it cools off.

New distributor, ignition coil, ICM, cleaned maf and iac.

Read that it might need to be advanced but no help.

Fellro

Staff member
Still have the catalytic converter?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What kind of engine codes are you getting?

Is something running out of range and giving the computer bad fuel/air info?

If it's running fine cold, that tells me that it's in the closed loop (no computer feedback) okay, but when it starts referring to sensors it gets jacked up.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Was kinda thinking the same Ryan. O2 sensor becomes suspect.

Reason I asked on the cat is that I have seen it quite often that initially, a vehicle will work fine with a partially plugged cat, and the hotter it gets, the worse the vehicle performs to the point you have to back pedal to keep it moving. Stop, cool, and will be mostly fine again. It isn't quite as cut and dried as say a filter plug, but I have also seen that happen to where you stop, the crud falls down, and then you can run for a bit again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts