Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

spongy ped

tboss619

tboss619
I had the brake fluid changed on my 1993 e350 last year and now I have a spongy pedal I can push the pedal all the way to the floor if I push it fairly hard. It seems to stop just fine but I am worried abt the spongy pedal..my mech. said it is supposed to do that and its a bypass vlv in the MC to keep it from blowin the lines..can some one with a bit more knowledge abt this subject help me here..Its on my 1993 Class C motor home and I just dont want to take any chances...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
theres still air trapped in the system. thats where the spongy pedal is coming from. if you know how to bleed them you can remedy it yourself... other times ive seen techs back off the adjustment screws on drum brakes to the point where they have the same result. i would try bleeding them first.. if that doesnt solve it would work on the adjustment.

Fellro

Staff member
I had the brake fluid changed on my 1993 e350 last year and now I have a spongy pedal I can push the pedal all the way to the floor if I push it fairly hard. It seems to stop just fine but I am worried abt the spongy pedal..my mech. said it is supposed to do that and its a bypass vlv in the MC to keep it from blowin the lines..can some one with a bit more knowledge abt this subject help me here..Its on my 1993 Class C motor home and I just dont want to take any chances...

Wow, that is a new one... Might want to consider finding another mechanic.

That said, Shawn is spot on. Either the mechanic never fully got it bled, or the adjuster need turned or are stuck. I have troubles with the rear wheel cylinders leaking down when the truck sits for extended periods, could be a similar issue as well.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Wow, that is a new one... Might want to consider finding another mechanic.

That said, Shawn is spot on. Either the mechanic never fully got it bled, or the adjuster need turned or are stuck. I have troubles with the rear wheel cylinders leaking down when the truck sits for extended periods, could be a similar issue as well.

i actually had one tech do a pressure flush on the system of one of my older cars. they didnt even bother to bleed it when they finished... just pulled the hoses off from the machine and closed the bleeder valves... when i complained about the sponginess the guy told me my pedal "was too firm before. its supposed to be spongy".. was the last time they touched it... i got it home bled the system properly and had my stiff pedal back...

another time i took my old buick to firestone to have the same thing done there since they had it for inspection... picked it up pedal felt not as stiff as when i dropped it off but still had some firmness.. figured they left a bubble in it... halfway home brakes went out completely... was a good thing i adjust drums the way i do... used the parking brake the rest of the way home... (1.5 miles no biggie).. found out they left the bleeders cracked.. i was pissed... I dont let anyone other than myself touch my brakes now...

Ford Truck Articles