Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Leaf Springs

The frame for my 51 is painted and ready to go. Question now is the leaf springs. I have the originals. I could clean up the old ones or go new. Best price I have seen is $225 for rears $125 for fronts. Is it critical to get new ones or is that money better spent some where else. If I keep them what is best way to clean them up and ready them for paint?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would opt for new springs given the age.

On my own later model restoration I am getting new springs and will separate the spring pack and have the individual leaves dryfilmed with a teflon coating.

I would do that procedure even if I was keeping the old packs....it holds up very well to the elements and lasts a long time.

I would opt for new springs given the age.

On my own later model restoration I am getting new springs and will separate the spring pack and have the individual leaves dryfilmed with a teflon coating.

I would do that procedure even if I was keeping the old packs....it holds up very well to the elements and lasts a long time.

It'll never see the elements.:headbang:

I agree with new but save the old for resale value of the truck.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Good thought on saving the old ones..the other comment I'm ignoring.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes it will and also reduce the capacity...the spring bolt would have to be cut as well...if that is your plan, you might want to consider talking with a local spring shop to make you a set.

I looked into that for my own truck and the price was the same as buying a regular set.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
If you're talking about the stock spring pack, removing one or two leafs won't change much. The rears have 11 and the fronts have 10. It will still ride like a truck. Some guys remove every other one or go with a new configuration. I have heard complaints from guys who have gone with a Mono spring fwiw.

Seats: The stock seat is so well sprung (?) that I never found a need to soften the springs. If you add a newer seat that is stiffer than the original they you might want to soften things somewhere else. Radial tires are another way to soften things up a bit, especially if you keep the air pressure in the low range for the tires you use.

I drove my 48 F1 for 10 years as a daily driver. It does pretty darn well in stock configuration. The Ford engineers did their homework.

Make sure you replace the pins and bushings in the springs/shackles/mounts if you haven't already. That makes a world of difference in handling.

Ford Truck Articles