Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which tailgate should I get?

Which tailgate should I get?

• Total voters

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So you guys know how my tailgate got smashed on the last snow trip. I've finally gotten a check from insurance and they really screwed me... Estimate for repairs from a shop that does good work is $4300. Insurance found used parts at a nearby dismantler and quoted me for those prices-- total: $2500 :headbang: So I'm gonna pick up a used like-new tailgate and a used like-new bumper. Since the tailgate finish panel is nearly impossible to find in used like-new condition, insurance quoted me the full $500 for a new finish panel.

Now the decision to be made... In 97 only, F250+ trucks were sold without finish panels (like you can see on my brother's truck below).

tailgates.jpg

Should I save the $500 by getting a panel-less tailgate and put the extra money towards a better tailgate & bumper? Or keep my truck the way it is and get another finish panel? With your vote on the poll, please also tell me in a post which tailgate you think would look better on my truck. I'm gonna try and photoshop a panel-less gate on my truck but it might not be easy.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My 97 had the plain panel, I liked it. It was a 350 CC XLT.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A comment my brother made to me was that he thought the brushed finish panel "dated" the truck... And I tend to agree... But I'm not totally sold.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
My white '93 had the polished panel- I kinda liked it, but spent a lot of time keeping it looking nice. I can't believe it'd cost that much more than the regular tailgate- I'd do some serious shopping around there.

With the panel, I think it completes the look of the truck. Plus, I don't think it makes it look dated since the F-150 Platinum has one.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
hey i forgot t pm ya back,that panel ive got well i dont think ya want it, its not that perfect. its gota corner broke out'a of it,just found it the other day

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Hey skan. I know of a gate that was taken off new and put on shelf .

But that being said . The smooth ones do look better now I think . They always looked like a chunky addon . I like the bling so I run them . Next time no . I want to get solid gate and put one Blue oval on it .

Get a nice solid tailgate and paint it and run around awhile , see if like it .

Only take 20 minutes to drill holes later if you don't. And give you time to find the "right " panel if you do .

I'd pocket the money keep eye out for a nice panel . And throw it on shelf if needed .

You keep you truck nice , But you use it . the panels get damaged easy I got several OK ones , but one scratch and its there. Where paint you can redo . And $500 will go long way to keeping old white on road .

Oh And ship me 2 or 3 bumpers would ya.

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I put down keep the panel, but if you were replacing it with the panel-less version that has the big F O R D across it (slightly recessed, body colour) I'd pick that option.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm no expert on body work...but I've been around a little of it. I'll also preface this by saying I've got both feet solidly in the "function over form" camp.

I'd focus on getting the best tailgate (i.e. perfect or near-perfect factory one) you can, whichever style it is.

Push came to shove, I'd even live with an imperfect panel, if it meant I had a straight 'gate that opened and closed perfectly and all the gaps were straight and even.

All that said, while I generally prefer the "no-panel" look, white trucks are an exception, and I think your truck would look better with a panel, if you can find a good one.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
if i could i could go with the panel. it looks a bit more classy with it. and it wont rust/corrode over there like it would over here. if you want a low maintenance onw then get a plain panel. oh and my dads 96 f-150 XL has no panel too :)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ive always liked without the panel best.. but a good condition panel doesnt look that bad!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts