Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Please Watch! Brake Hose Blowout Inspection

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
I have seen enough already on the boards and at my shop. So I decided to make a video on checking your brake hoses for cracks, splits, and slits. I not only illustrate how they look when failing with the weight off the wheel (truck jacked up) but how well the splits are hidden once the weight is back on the wheels. I suggest everyone that owns an Escape do this simple check before your loved ones drive off with brake hoses ready to blow out just when they need them most.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to make all the videos you have.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
its sure not fun to have it happen... had our 79 suburban blow the front lines off one time doing an emergency stop.. guy ran a redlight and we nearly t-boned them... were lucky that the back held long enough to slow us down that we barely missed them... used the parking brake the rest of the way home.. (.3 mile) light was just up the street...

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
its sure not fun to have it happen... had our 79 suburban blow the front lines off one time doing an emergency stop.. guy ran a redlight and we nearly t-boned them... were lucky that the back held long enough to slow us down that we barely missed them... used the parking brake the rest of the way home.. (.3 mile) light was just up the street...
Of course it always happens right when you need them the most.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Of course it always happens right when you need them the most.

that it does... hose blow outs is one of the biggest reasons i wish they would stop connecting the front brakes with the back ones.. that have with some vehicles but not all of them. Cuz when failures like that happen itll cause you to lose the others...

Fellro

Staff member
That is why they split the master so that you don't lose all brakes, but keep in mind that when a front hose goes out you just lost 75% of your braking ability.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
That is why they split the master so that you don't lose all brakes, but keep in mind that when a front hose goes out you just lost 75% of your braking ability.

yeah but the problem still resides that even in the "proportioning valve" they split 1 front side to 1 back side.. yeah you can have 2 lines come off your master cyl.. but one line doesnt go solely to the front and soley to the back since they run both lines through that valve to try to evenly distribute the braking force to front and back..

there was a time they had 4 lines coming off your master cyl to go to each corner of the vehicle.. now your down to 2 lines at most..

Fellro

Staff member
They only ever split front pair and rear pair, no matter how many lines came off the master, the only difference is the master has the proportioning valve built in to it. Think about it, if you had one front still braking at full strength and one at none, what would happen? Sudden surprise spin.

Ford Truck Articles