Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dually

I have a 1997 F250 HD with the heavy duty truck rear end. Has anyone here ever changed one of these into a dually? Since my truck is a 2wd and I spend a lot of time in the woods, I would like the additional traction awarded to the dually. I really don't want to buy another rear-end if I can just change mine.

Aaron D. Thomas
Newport News VA

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They used to make an adapter that went between the wheels

You actually lose traction by adding the extra tire.
You add weight carrying capacity

They used to make an adapter that went between the wheels

You actually lose traction by adding the extra tire.
You add weight carrying capacity

I really would love to have the additional weight carrying capacity. Right now I am pretty much limited to 3 tons of gravel in my F250 HD. As for the losing traction, I think that depends on the type of tires. I have had several trucks with dual wheels on my place. They all had similar tread as what I have on my truck. They went right in and out of where my truck gets stuck. I don't have big 4x4 mudders on mine, just some regular size mud tires that could still be used on a dually. Where I am is a 6.75 acre lot of pine trees that I am clearing. It is a place where wider is definately better. Sometimes I wish I had snow shoes. LOL

Aaron Thomas
Newport News VA

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Maybe it might be easier to get limited slip installed in your rear end rather than try to add tires? Just a thought that might help you get better traction, but it won't change your payload.

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I really would love to have the additional weight carrying capacity. Right now I am pretty much limited to 3 tons of gravel in my F250 HD. As for the losing traction, I think that depends on the type of tires. I have had several trucks with dual wheels on my place. They all had similar tread as what I have on my truck. They went right in and out of where my truck gets stuck. I don't have big 4x4 mudders on mine, just some regular size mud tires that could still be used on a dually. Where I am is a 6.75 acre lot of pine trees that I am clearing. It is a place where wider is definately better. Sometimes I wish I had snow shoes. LOL

Aaron Thomas
Newport News VA

if you actually watch the numbers between the SRW and Dually's from ford.. the dually actually rates 300 lbs less for carry and tow capacity than the SRW do.. havent figured out why.. the truck is the same regardless..
its more of a preference thing than a stability/traction thing...

Sparky.....I don't pay attention to the numbers from Ford. I had to move some gravel a while back. I pulled into the yard and told the guy to fill it up. Unfortunately I was a little limited because of the tires and the tool box. I only had just under 3 tons in it. The tires looked a little tested, so I figure if I make it into a dually, I won't have that problem. The tires I have on it right now are very similar to the ones those trucks are running.

I also have a wooded area that I am clearing. We have had several duallys back there with no problem, but my truck likes to get stuck. When it does, it goes right up to the axle and is a real biotch to get out. I finally mounted a 9000lb winch to the front. I am not a big fan of mounting big mud tires on a 2 wd truck either.

Aaron Thomas
Newport News VA

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
the other option you could do is get super singles to mount to the SRW axle.. would probably just have to get a spacer at that point for the clearance..

Ford Truck Articles